• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

How To: 07+ NNBS 6-HI all Headlights on!

88gmctruck

02GMCtruck
Reaction score
Well, after a little prodding with the testlight for my dad, I figured out how to keep the fogs on with the highbeams. Fortunatly, the lowbeams already stay on with the highbeams, so that is already out of the way.

Just like the 03+ mod, all you actually need is a diode.

Jumper the diode from either fuse 30 or 31 (Hi headlamp fuse) which is powered during highbeam operation, to the bottom left of the foglamp relay to trigger it to stay on. This is what the diode should look like. The relay was removed for clarity.

P1060639.jpg

Lowbeams + fogs
P1060642.jpg

P1060647.jpg

6-Hi
P1060643.jpg

P1060646.jpg

IDK what type diode I used, I just buy the pack of like 25 assorted at radioshack and they have worked for everything I've used them for.

It really doesn't have to be able to handle much, as it's just a 12V+ signal, no real load there.

Nice...Someone did over on DP a year or so ago but it was way more complicated.

This diode should be the exact same thing as what the rest of us use.

Thanks for posting this..!

I dont have a link. It was posted by TByrne. I dont go over there anymore. If you search under his name or threads started, you'll find it. It might even be in DIY.

Ah, I'll take a look. I haven't ever posted there, and RARELY visit unless there is a DIY I wanna read.

This place it way better. :thumbsup: Glad you guys put up with the gassers like me.

Nick, I just found his post.

The pictures are long bone but from what I read he bought a standard 4-hi relay kit and tapped into his low beam wire, power and ground and ran it to his fogs. Basically with his setup the fog lights come on with the headlights without using the switch, no matter what.

My setup aside from being easier & cheaper, keeps the foglights on the switch with 100% normal operation. The change is that the fogs will stay on with the highbeams if they were turned on, and will automaticially switch on during any highbeam operation, even if the fogs were off to begin with. This way you have 6-hi during highbeam operation, or if using flash to pass.

I dont know why someone didnt try this before. If it was that simple, you would think it woulda been done.

I didnt think he used a diode or anything. I thought I remembered that he was using some kind of relay kit.

Either way, so this is the same as the 03-07 trucks. Good post and thanks for taking the time to post pictures.

Now, if only I could find time to mess around with my DRL and parking lights.

Now, if only I could find time to mess around with my DRL and parking lights.

Crap! :mad2: I forgot that I was going to post the mod up for you. Devin and I took pictures when we converted his truck and I actually re-did my 02 so I didn't have the mismatched socket. We found a way to keep the original keyed DRL base but change the socket out and add the additional contact.

I'll find the pictures in the next few days and get a How-To written up. :D

No, its really no big deal. I thought there might be a way to use a diode in there to have double the drl's and double the parking lights. I dont use my drl's anyways as I turn them off daily. The only time I run them is in dusk conditions and even thats rare.

I've seen multiple ways of dioding DRLs, etc. It's possible to diode the DRL relay to the parking light relay and you'd have automatic parking lights all the time, etc.

Personally I think that abandoning the DRL wiring and switching the socket to another dual filament parking light is the way to go, the lights look SO much better lit uniformly and functioning as a full signal, well, just like the 88-98 trucks did. I drive with my parking lights on 99% of the time anyway.

My 02 (old picture, I have denali lights, clear corners and OEM fogs now)
P1020158.jpg

Brandons 07c
100_1269.jpg

What do you mean, automatic parking lights? I dont have auto anything anymore. My auto light sensor has been disabled since the truck was new. I couldnt stand it.

4 parking lights and using the full side for the turn signals would be pretty cool. If a diode can go one way, it can be reversed as well. You can also just run a jumper wire in there too to give them both constant power. Thats an easy way to do it.

I was thinking you wanted to make your parking lights come on automatically, which is possible by using a diode between the DRL relay and Parking light relay. It's also possible to go the other way, so the parking lights turn the DRLs on whenever they are on. With the installation of amber bulbs, you'd have full amber running lights.

The only way to get the DRL side of the lights to operate like the parking light side (parking and signal) is to switch the socket out for a dual filament type, because the bulb uses a low and high filament for parking and signal lights, respectively. If you were to make your DRL flash with the signals it would turn completely off, and IMO look strange.

I've always run amber in my lights, in all my trucks so thats done. I dont want auto anything. I want full control of all my lights, all the time.

Both sockets are a dual filament bulb. In fact, my DRL bulbs have both filaments jumped together to "brighten" the bulb. In order to have 2 parking lights, I'd have to disable the jump between both filaments in the DRL bulb.

I'm thinking just a jumper wire to get both bulbs powered when the other is on. It seems like the easiest way to do it. I havent looked but are there fuses in the fuse box under the hood for this, such as for the low and high beams?

I'm sure there are fuses for each, however all the parking lights are on the same circuit, so if you jumpered the DRLs to the parking lights, you'd get all the parking lights on with DRL operation.

I know that the DRLs are also dual filament, however the socket is only for a single filament (power and ground contact, 2-wires), what I'm describing is switching it to a dual filament socket (2 powers and a ground, 3 wires) and splice it into the parking and signal wires from the other light.

I see what you're saying. Seems like alot of work for very little desired effect, especially considering I'm the only one who'd actually notice...

I'd notice :rolleyes5:

It is a bit of work but it looks SO much better, IMO. Heck I convinced Devin to do it.

I know but you guys are local to eachother. I'm not opposed to it but I might try to mess around with some wires first for a similar effect.

True. Let us know what you figure out, there are lots of other possibilities.

Probably should start un-whoring the thread now anyway :haha:

Back