• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

How many hours for a 6.5L Turbo injector replacement? What needs taken out?

GM Guy

Manual Trans. 2WD Enthusiast
Reaction score
hey guys,

we are getting cold feet on tearing the 93 apart on the day we need to leave for Idaho, so we will probably leave it alone, but I ask anyways:

how many hours does it take to properly replace all 8 injectors on a turbocharged pickup?

and also, what do you recommend taking off? turbo? downpipe? manifold(s)? etc

any input appreciated, thank you!

Taking out the turbo helps a lot. Some prefer taking out passenger inner fender.
Once this done, you can access all injectors almost easely.

If you don't want to bend injector lines, you will have to pull out the intake in order to loosen the lines at the IP. In that case you'll need gaskets... and the right socket in all cases.

Some Oudini say they can do it with inner fender, turbo and intake in place. For my nerves sake, I never tried.

I will not be bending any lines. I do have the Kent-Moore socket, for both the injectors and the glow plugs. I did also buy an install kit as well from Rockauto. Still need to acquire some gaskets.

My truck had a 3in body lift,, so that helped a bit,, but I took out the pass fender liner,, loosened the down pipe, and did them mostly from the top. Turbo on,, manifolds on. just tweak the fuel lines out of the way after loosening up the line holders. I did one side,, then started it,, ran for a minute,, then shut down and did the other side. Do turbo side first,, cause the driver side is easier. I think it took 3 3.5 hrs. Good luck

Driver side takes me, usually, about 10 minutes per injector.

Passenger side is trickier ... usually about a half hour per injector. I'd say plan on 3-3 1/2 hours to give yourself some wiggle room.

I did mine when i did glows, gp regulator, set timing, new fuel lines under intake, FFM refresh, new vaccum lines, F swap, new ops and relay, and a few other things. All that took about 14hrs with my not knowing a dang thing about the truck/engine and having to redo part of it (i forgot to tighten down the injectors after bleeding them)

Its not a terrible job but I just tore it all down since i didnt want to pull it apart again for minor things

You have the correct socket for the job perfect.

An incorrect socket can and will bend in fuel nipples.

Drivers side can be done is about 10 minutes total, 4 rubber fuel lines, 4 injectors hard lines, and then the 4 injectors. The little nipple clamp on the end injector takes a little while to get on correct. Don't put the fuel line on the last injector until you get the nipple plug on. And that plug can go on either nipple! I just did one last week and another the week before. The passenger side is more time consuming.

Air intake system. Watch out for the battery positive terminal. Depending on the nuts and bolts holding the turbo on the manifold and the down pipe clamp. Turbo brace, oil feed and drain lines, turbo to upper intake coupler and brace. Passenger side can be done in less than 2 hours, but depending on the bolts and nuts being used and abused. A must is to replace the rubber fuel lines.

Also be very careful with the injector hard lines, DO NOT over tighten them, about 20-25 pounds at the most. You do not want to replace those.

I took my sweet time on the first injector swap job.
Removed passenger side fender well, turbo, heat shield, little hex screws holding the injector lines. Took for freaking ever.
Did the same job again a year later and it took about 5 hours without rushing.
Third time it took about three.

Same technique each time.

Have a Plan, Then a Plan "B".........You can check Thread/Posts from "chrisk1500", he has done it in 2 hours, but he's got to be double jointed, also he's a pretty good wrencher.

I believe he's got a stickey in the Tech Library on his 2 hr injector swap.....I don't believe he took the turbo off (Not sure)

well, didnt do them. we are currently at Little America, WY she sounds bad at idle, and coming off the pass between Cheyenne and Laramie, she let it be known she doesnt care for screwed up timing and bad injectors. smoke city, and a little bucking. but, take her above 1500 or so, and she sounds much better. no smoke under load (just at idle) so I doubt it is dumping too much fuel in. soft pedaling it (except for the obnoxious lifted PSD welding truck, she got WOT for the charge up the hill. I think the PSD had to downshift to blow my doors off. :) ) and trying too give it just enough to get the job done. hasnt peaked 220, but has barely itched above 210. will be getting cooling upgrades for sure.

hopefully the little 6.2L has been telling the 93 what kind of treatment it got, and the 93 will wait to see if it gets the same before deciding whether or not to stuff a rod :) (and I hope it knows it will get the same treatment!:) )

speaking of the 6.2L, it sounds and runs like a million bucks, no more vibration, will sail up to 3000 RPM without complaints. (and is maintaining 2500-2750 because of the SM465) So I will chalk the Fluidampr up as a best buy. quite the piece of engineering. mine is beautiful, with no slag, and it has timing marks, so I think quality control is back.

hopefully we can find time to tear the truck apart in Idaho, I packed all the tools.

will be getting a different line kit though, the one from rock auto has those damn fabric braided ones, I want the factory type ones.

the family farm, gooding Idaho. will be combining barley with the folks.

If you wont be in the area then, I will be returning for corn harvest in the fall/winter.

also, she made it without blowing up! :) had to dump the header off at the customers place 10 miles away. So beforehand I let the sun shine on the intake and plugged it in for a short term show of appreciation!

What did you get for injectors?

I will only use new injectors. No rebuilts. Had nothing but trouble the 2 sets I tried.

What's the best injectors to get these days? And where do you buy them

What did you get for injectors?

I will only use new injectors. No rebuilts. Had nothing but trouble the 2 sets I tried.

What's the best injectors to get these days? And where do you buy them

Pm me I have a shop for you that will take care of your needs economically. Only new German Bosch nozzles with a guarantee.

Back