• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

How do you store your pickup bed topper?

n8in8or

I never met a project I didn’t like
Reaction score
Soon I’ll be working on my 94 K3500. Part of the project will include bed removal. The truck currently has a topper on the bed (not sure if that’s the correct term for it, but not sure what else to call it). Short term removal and storage is easy to figure out, but I can see in the future that I would want to have it on and off for different uses. How do you guys store yours? Or even remove? Any clever ideas you can share? I’m picturing some sort of rack arrangement at the height of the bed rails that it could be slid on and off of, but maybe somebody has tried that and it sucks? It has some rails on the roof of it, maybe use a winch to lift it off and drive out from under it and then the reverse for installation? Any ideas, especially with pictures are welcome!!

Here are some pics of the topper in question:

2289071E-C7BB-48FB-BEE5-294083D818A9.jpegE0B50264-2198-4237-A13B-1EB4E7B1D257.jpegEBFD5D1B-8BBA-4801-A123-614F185E2D21.jpegA781E183-0614-4179-B4BB-3B144152EC6B.jpeg9F383848-A6A0-4220-A53B-139D44631BB3.jpeg

Here is my suggestion that doesn't take up garage space. Simple and effective.

I'm sure you can come up with something that involves your Ferguson to lift it off.

Here is my suggestion that doesn't take up garage space. Simple and effective.

I'm sure you can come up with something that involves your Ferguson to lift it off.

Thanks for sharing that. I like that idea because when the rack isn’t being used you can move it out of the way. It’s also simple to fabricate and use. It’s probably quicker and easier to use my back and lift it than maneuver the Ferguson into place to be honest. The more I think about this the more I like it, thanks! Oh and that swing out tool box looks handy as heck.

Nice clean dually! My dually came with a very similar topper. First thing I got rid of.

Thanks! I wasn’t super interested in the topper when I bought the truck, but.....

Sometimes I think I would like one but don't really need it... Don't know if I like the looks or not...

.....I’ve kind of grown fond of how it looks. Plus the ability to carry stuff in the bed and keep it dry or more secure than an open bed is appealing. If I could make it easy to take on and off then I’d definitely use it. A lot of the time though it’s very handy to be able to stand up in the bed. We also want to get a golf cart to take camping and I plan to carry that in the bed with the camper attached so it will have to be off for that.

I hated working out of trucks that had a covered bed for years.

But now there are some options with them that make it really nice. My truck at work has side doors on the top with shelving built in. It uses the same key as the ignition to lock all 3 doors-the 2 aluminum ones on each side and the rear window. Adds weight that makes install and removing harder though. I like the side compartments so much I am going to modify my slantback adding them to it.

Then for stuff in the bed, there is an option of a weathergaurd pack rat, and a newer one like I have that the whole length and width between wheel wells that pulls out 75% ofthe way called bed slide (or similar)

Some cool Youtube diy versions of each.

Back