• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Honda GX 160 Pressure Washer hard to pull start

BoostN

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I pretty sure it's a GX160, it's about 2-3 years old.. and let me tell ya, I about broke my hand last weekend trying to start it. It catches during the pull cycle... I've found if I pull slow and let it catch, then let it wind up and I pull again it's not as harsh.

What's the deal? I'm a not pro with these small motors but it shouldn't be this harsh when I want wash my truck.

Have you backed off on the pressure control all the way before you start It? Try that if you haven't.

Some have a compression lever that you lift up. I guess that's what it is anyway. It pulls a lot easier after the lever is lifted. My dads has one.

Have you backed off on the pressure control all the way before you start It? Try that if you haven't.

Nope, also found a video to hold the wand hand "open" and try. I literary have to put one foot on the frame and double up on the pull.

This right here solves all my problems.. :D

Some have a compression lever that you lift up. I guess that's what it is anyway. It pulls a lot easier after the lever is lifted. My dads has one.

I will search around for that..

Wonder if the ignition control module is messing with you? Or maybe the 160 has no such device. I remember @ak diesel driver was getting put through the ringer on a Honda powered genset there a while back. It was sparking but at all the wrong times, turned out to be this 'module' thingy.

It probably has a compression release built into the camshaft. Exactly what happens when it fails. My issue was I installed the ign coil backwards

It probably has a compression release built into the camshaft

I've come across that on a few forums. Actually, I think the motor is bigger than a 160 as those little ones have a 160. This is a 4000 PSI one. I'm out of town so I can't walk outside to check.

If it's a 4k psi, you most likely have the 13hp gx390 engine. There should be an unloader valve built into the pump that has a hose that loops back around. When the unloader fails, you're not only pull starting the engine, but also pumping the water up to whatever your bypass is set to. I had to remove the one from ours because parts are nla for it, so you have to hold the wand open when starting it now. If you don't, it will rip the roperight out your hand when it starts pumping and building pressure.

Back