• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

6.5L Home made turbo master

Safe is a guess. They just go until it feels ‘normal’.
It works but isn’t the safe bet.
Then factor in: Old worn out engine can’t handle the pressure a new engine can.
Guys like Eric (Hummer H1 with a fairly new engine wont even push up to 9psi with his gm7. Then some guys are happy to shove 16&18psi with their engine that already has blowby.

I prefer manual things over vacuum or electronic 99% of the time. Turbo control included- but I wouldn’t recommend doing it without a boost gauge.
At minimum get the $15 gauge from harbor freight and use to set the spring if ya don’t want the gauge in the dash.

Yes, absolutely yes on a boost gauge.
I had this TM on the truck several times and so I wrote with a magic marker how far to adjust the spring tension from the top of the shaft to the top of the washer atop of the spring.
Even with that measurement the spring tension would have to be readjusted according to the boost gauge.
I never did run over about 11 PSI except about once before the spring tension was totally adjusted.
It is a good system and it never did trip the SES lamp.

Heath's told you measure the compressed spring length to get X amount of boost.
Because he didn’t drive an empty truck, read boost gauge, then load the truck and tow up hills. He didn’t try it out in horrible aerodynamic vehicles like bread trucks or hummers before using that method.
It’s a ball park method he came up with- but doing it isn’t exact. It required him building the units all using identical tension springs on engines using the same turbo at one altitude.

I played diagnostic dr to a few hummer owners following his basic instruction then getting overboost codes because he was setting the level at his elevation and they were calling me for help because I was close during their Death Valley trips.
Then when guys are blowing black smoke in colorado- or seirra nevada mountains and weak on power.

Yes- for 80% of people just getting close enough is fine. But imo a $15 gauge isn’t too much, especially when not using healths specific bracket and spring.
For those who want it delivered for $15 and don’t have harbor freight:

If ya don’t want to mount it permanently - fine. Run the hose under the hood and under the windshield wiper with some tape to hold the gauge against the windshield for test drive and adjustment. Then remove it and consider it a $15 tool.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I think it cost me a total of like 20 bucks at AutoZone for a boost gauge and hose and a couple bucks for the fitting. Unfortunately I didn't mind before I realized Leroy sold the tap bolt. One of these days I need to order one from him then get a new plenum. With 320k on the engine I still have it set at 9. Only time ever trips a SES code is when I'm on the highway on a longer trip.. after about 80 90 miles it will trip the light.. not sure why

Back