• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Hole in the Intercooler tube

Pipepro

McMuddy
Reaction score
Well, I didnt see this thread here so Ill post up my Saturday afternoon work.
After reading about several others with this problem and since I have had EVERY other malady that has come along, I figured mine must have a hole in it as well. Pulled the inner fender, and sure enough, there it is. What a silly bend in that power steering hard line, seems like it could have been prevented but oh well. Pulled it off, cleaned it with some break cleaner and filled the hole with JB weld. Let it cure overnight, then took some sheet rubber cut into a 2" wide strip, wrapped it around and used some 3M weatherstrip adhesive to glue it in place. Added a few Zip ties to keep it in place till it cures. I dont have a boost gauge, so I dont know how much I was losing or gained with the fix.

DSCN0362.jpg

DSCN0360.jpg

DSCN0364.jpg

My hearing is shot (literally) but some friends said they thought it sounded like a high pitched air leak, I did notice it had more passing power on the drive home. I only checked it because I saw some pics of a similar hole and figured I had better check mine out. The computer said we were getting better MPG's but Ill have to wait for some hand Calcs to verify. I did adjust the clamps a bit and used some tie wire to help hold it up off the line to prevent further damage. Ill check it again next oil change and see how we are doing.

WOW I did not know about that. I am going to pull my inner fender tommarrow and check mine. That sucks. Wonder how long the motor has been sucking dirty air.

I think that since it is in the intercooler tube it should be under pressure from the turbo, least I hope it is? Even at lower engine speeds there should be some boost. (I dunno, I dont have a boost gauge yet) The funny part is that the elbow from the steel line fit perfectly into the groove in the tube, I hope that would keep out most of the big chunks anyway. :mad:

EDIT: I reached down from the front along the fan shroud and dug my fingers under the tube, wasnt easy to reach but I could feel there was some kind of dent or gouge where the hard line was rubbing. Thats what prompted me to pull the inner fender and get busy. I managed to bust a few of the silly plastic rivet thingies in the process, so pick up a few spares before you begin (and then let me know where you find em) :yesnod:

Last edited:
I am sure the dealer has the rivit things. I have pulled the Passenger side inner fender a couple of times and I have never broke any of them.

do you have a boost gauge? im running around 23 psi at 3000 rpms with a ppe boost valve is that low or normal? should i be looking for a hole or a leak?

I dont have one, but from what I have read, the stock boost is around 20-24 and with the ppe valve it is more like 26-30? Dont quote me on it, but I think thats purty close. I would look around at your fittings and for the dreaded intercooler tube hole.

Mine has a groove wore in it. I didn't feel a hole. I put some sheet rubber between the boost tube and the line and zip-tied it in place. I hope that works until I can do a permanent fix.

Damn... There ya go gettin' me paranoid. Another thing to wonder about next maint cycle in the next week or so. Does it look like an assembly issue? Like maybe if the CAC hose and tube were installed a bit better that there would be ample clearance? Haven't really heard of this one before.

Damn... There ya go gettin' me paranoid. Another thing to wonder about next maint cycle in the next week or so. Does it look like an assembly issue? Like maybe if the CAC hose and tube were installed a bit better that there would be ample clearance? Haven't really heard of this one before.
It's been around on the other site checked mine and found it warn about half way through, wrapped it with rubber hose and trying to find time to do a permanent fix...

It occurred to me that the reason I wasn't aware of it before is maybe it's just an LB7 or early LLY thing... yes, no ?
I've only had late LLY and LBZ.
I'll be checking anyway...

It may be an LB7 thing...mine gave up the ghost in a similar fashion....$400 to R&R it.

it is...on the lly's there is sufficient clearance...although ifyou had any motor work done...and the tube isnt re-installed properly, then it could happen

Back