• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

High capacity k47 vs non ??

Acesneights1

Reaction score
I'm confused. I thought anything 98+ had the round air cleaner and older had the square but the junky says they have an air cleaner from a 98 burb 6.5TD but it's not a k47 ? could they be confused or am I ?:???:

The only difference between K47 air cleaners is the severe duty option that is used in high dirt, dusty conditions......The filter box is just a tad bit bigger to hold the filter.

Maybe someone can correct me, but I didn't think that diesels had the option of the smaller air box. I know they ask which one I need every time I buy a filter for my gasser, but I was under the impression that the round-filter diesel box would always hold the large filter. Maybe not in the 1/2 ton or something like that. I haven't been around too many of those.
I've also never seen the small air box in a 4x4, even gassers. Maybe it's just my luck, but the small air box seems hard to find. Not that I'm looking for one! It just seems that they are all the 'Severe Duty' version.

I always thought there were two sizes of the cylinder air boxes, which is why we specify K47 option to get the larger, so we can use a larger element.

K-47

Go to car-parts.com I but in 1998 2500 air box and the site asked for hi-cap k47 or non hi-cap see what junkyards around your area has them most will ship to your door.And buy new filter its that easy. Thats how I found one in NC, for my blazer. Hope that helps guys.

According to the GM EPC, there are two different boxes that use the round style filter. The standard box is 25173761 while the Heavy Duty Service K47 is 25173763.

And the K47 was available on any of the diesel engines, my 99 K2500 has the RPO.

My 1998 K2500 K-47 RPO box:

DSC04296.jpg

Replacement filter sticker:

DSC04297.jpg

(says A1306C)

I'd have to say it's the same housing with different filter sizes inside....or I've got the "heavy duty" and it can take either filter.

does anybody know of the boot that goes from the turbo to the Air cleaner elbow is the same from a square style to a round ? Most junkys I have called do not have the rubber elbow but I have the one from the square air cleaner. Also Does the round style need anything for the fender ? I have to yank the one off my Burb and look. I toyed with the idea of getting the S&G and putting it on the Burb and then taking the K47 off the Burb and putting it on the 93. The S&G seems to not need any of the parts from the factory but there is no info out there if this thing is any good.

They are different but IIRC the one from the square box flows better and with minor mods will work.

Back