• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Helping a brother out

ak diesel driver

6.5 driver
Reaction score
I thought I'd start a thread on the helpful community we have here at TTS. It's nice to belong to a forum that seems to be more helpful than most. And it is the reason I'm a member here on TTS. So I thought I'd start this thread off with my recent experince on my road trip http://www.thetruckstop.us/forum/showthread.php?28529-Road-Trip-!!.
I was taking the Oil Can by Simon's place (aka Bison) when the truck I was driving broke down about 67-70 miles from Simon's place. I gave Simon a call and let him know what had happened and asked if he had 1 1/8" socket (for the fuel filter) he said he did and would head on over. After he got there we changed out the filter and it made no difference. Looked like it was time for a new IP. So Simon helped us find a tow truck and then towed our trailer to the shop that my Dad wanted to go to. He hung out with us for several hours while we waited to see the outcome from the shop. He finally had to go home to feed his herd but volunteered to come back to get us the next day if we wanted him to. So because it was a Friday on a holiday weekend we couldn't even order a new IP until Monday, so I called back Simon and asked if he was serious about the invite to come and get us and stay a his place. He said yes and came and got us. We spent the next 5-6 days at his place and were treated as welcome guests. I got to know Simon alot better than I intended too and it was real priviledge to get to know him and his family. He would like to visit Alaska someday and I hope he does so I can at least in part return the favor he gave to me. My hat's off to you Simon you set the bar pretty high for the rest of us to follow. Thanks again my friend.
Hopefully this thread will inspire others to give acts of service to there fellow brothers here on TTS and post their experiences.

Attachments

• 004.jpg
    004.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 51
It's just amazing how those whom share common interests (this forum, the old trucks we drive, mechanically inclined etc.) can hit it off 'just like that'.

That's pretty amazing that someone would go out of his way like that to help someone (basically a stranger) out. We all need to take this example of true kindness to heart and "dipstick check" ourselves. Simon (Bison), you're the man !!

Great site and great members:thumbsup:

Simon, I like the rustic wood in the background.

Hats off to ya Simon, You're nothing but a gracious host and a better friend......I'm sure your guests were as grateful, as your hospitality.

It's usually easy to see who stands out from the crowd, when the going gets tough.

I myself have received the gracious nature of this family, we call a forum......Thanks for proving/keeping up the "TTS way" and setting new standards in how special this membership is......Les sounds like you couldn't have had a better host, than Simon and his family.:)

Quite the brotherhood we have here and have had for some time.
Hat's off to you once again Simon!

Guys, I'm going to move this to OT since there were members throughout the forum who followed the road trip with much interest and also so any newer members who weren't part of the prior "help a brother" events can see how we roll here.

Well guys,thanks for the compliments but i think it was nothing special helping Les and his dad out.Afterall he was gonna drive a couple hundered clicks out of his way just to meet me.It would've been extremely rude for me to leave him sit there,would it! I did what i felt was right.
Action speaks louder than words me thinks.Treat people as you would like to be treated.
I can imagine what it would be like to get stranded out in nowhere and not knowing your way around or who to call for help.

We seemed to hit it off on the right footing so that was a bonus,and these guys are easy going and where fun to be with.
I'm also fortunate not to have to go to a daily job and have plenty free time on my hands(and then they say farming is hard work eh,Ask Les how busy i was :D )

Anyway i had a good time and i gladly do it again if that time comes.

Is that good-looking young thing your wife, Simon? No wonder you're always so happy! :D

You've done a good thing here, my friend; and you're right, actions speak louder than words. I am proud to know ya, Buffalo-man.

Jim

im jealouse of les. iv seen the pics of simons place. well i guess im not jealous of needing a new ip and all that but i would like to see the area and im sure simon was a fun guy to be around

Is that good-looking young thing your wife, Simon? No wonder you're always so happy! :D

You've done a good thing here, my friend; and you're right, actions speak louder than words. I am proud to know ya, Buffalo-man.

Jim

It's his daughter! Oh, wait, he did say he robbed the cradle.;)

Are'int trucks great! look how they brought ya'll together with a common interest. Friends for life.
Whats cool is all the "6.5 guys" i've meet have been real good people.

Awesome story guys. I've always known everyone here had everyone else's back, and this just furthers that.

The way I see it, as long as you try to live your life as best as you can and pay it as far forward as you can, only goodness and respect can ever come back at you.

Members helping members is really what makes our forum so special and sets us apart from all the others. Treating others as you would like to be treated yourself is a great philosophy to live by. :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Back