• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Help

Grandpa's resurrection

6.5 upgrade and hard start
Reaction score
I have 97 k2500 6.5 td. 143,000 in really good shape. Was my grandpa's 2nd owner. It was given to me 5 years ago when his sight started to go. Sat too long and wreaked havoc, new rebuild engine, heads completely gone through. New lift pump since a squirrels nest overheated the last one. I know new doesn't mean working, but glow plugs, injectors, and new relay. Removed vacuum pump for manual boost, fuel pump crossover from oil pressure switch. Cat and muffler elimated for 4 inch exhaust. Pm relocation. I have issues on first start anytime. Blows white smoke and dies takes two or three times to start. I also have loss of power with pulling. Warm no hard start and runs great. I am in process of going to store for scan tool to do timing relearn. I just would love to get it back to how it ran when grandpa first bought it. Did I mention this is first diesel I have ever worked on, so really need help. How do I tell if an injector is good or not without going and getting another tool? What are some things that could also cause hard start? How can you tell if pmd is bad? I'll repost after timing relearn is complete and see if any changes.

Welcome. Sounds like a long term keeper rig to me!

Begin with the $5 & 5 minute fix for clear tune like mentioned. Does not sound like injector issue at all, so relax there. When injectors have issue hit starts mess up also or misfires when warmed up are usually detected.

If no air bubbles in the fuel line, and timing is ok, I would then look closer into the glows. If you plug in block heater and do second or third preheat manually does it start any easier?
AC Delco 60g is only one worth recommending anymore btw.

If you list the trig and its modifications in your signature line, that helps on all future posts for folks to glance at what we are talking about. The ak diesel driver above me has it perfectly laid out.

Ok pump manual timing up. Code on electrical say" manufacture code 2525" GM dealer hooked up same. Changed all lines, thanks for info on air. Starts faster. Next up for 60 glow. By the way elect. timing fluctuates from +.04 to -.3.75 some starts are the same but running up to temp these are the readings. We were watching voltage. Found short in battery, replaced faster spin less on time of start. Why the "weird reading"? At 200$ a pop to plug at dealer, I don't want him to work on it. Any ideas where I can look, one person suggested timing gear for " crank sensor". P.S. the pull is better and didn't drop more than 3mph on 13,000 lbs on cruise, bit of black bit but still got 22 mpg yea. Close bit not yet the cigar. Where next?

Is that 22 mpg while towing 13K#? If so, that is pretty amazing!

To an unanswered question, there really is only one good way to diagnose a failing PMD / FSD: replace it with an allegedly good one and see what happens. When it fails, this can happen over time and make you start chasing ghosts by way of fish-biting, brief throttle run-away, or making the fueling act wonky. Then again, you might get lucky and have it simply go catastrophic and the motor simply dies. While the catastrophic part might not seem like a lucky thing if you are driving at the time, it actually is a blessing as it just simplified the diagnosis.

Is that 22 mpg while towing 13K#? If so, that is pretty amazing!

To an unanswered question, there really is only one good way to diagnose a failing PMD / FSD: replace it with an allegedly good one and see what happens. When it fails, this can happen over time and make you start chasing ghosts by way of fish-biting, brief throttle run-away, or making the fueling act wonky. Then again, you might get lucky and have it simply go catastrophic and the motor simply dies. While the catastrophic part might not seem like a lucky thing if you are driving at the time, it actually is a blessing as it just simplified the diagnosis.
Yes 22 while towing. Stock other than upgrades. Wastegate delete for manual. Fuel by pass off oil pressure swith. 4" straight exhaust. Only problem so far found air leak, one battery dead cell, and between me and GM dealer can't find manufacture code. Does still have hard time starting still. Tried glow plug timing tool also. Mechanical good but where do I look for problems read or resetting electrical timing? I'm still jumping from plus to minus. One helpful hint as far as I can the glow 60s help, the spin faster but still I have to let it buck and kick a few seconds and throttle up to get to clear idle. 5 years of research to get this. Love the 6
5 and the rattle, but don't like all the white smoke on start up cold. I'm getting unload @25 mpg average on trip. Stock injectors, GM 8 turbo manual with gage, I run @ 8 psi boost 4l80 4 speed automatic, 5 to 7 lbs fuel pumps(2), pm relocate to bumper. I did however modify cooling. Took two cowl hood scoops and modified to catch more cool air twords manifolds, 180 themostate and high output water pump apparently read each says cooler better on yup. I'll try fsd I have the original, but I bought whole kit and replaced. Now that I think I still have the only original part is crank sensor could that??????

Not disputing the mileage numbers as calculated, although they do seem a bit on the high side. Out of curiosity, are the speedometer and odometer reasonably accurate when compared to an external source like GPS?

Did you measure to see if the alternator is good?

Reason I said this is assuming that new parts as good is not valid anymore.
Even the new batteries and new alternator can be bad.
The challenge is when starting to replace everything at once, then you run the risk of introducing new "potentially bad" parts.

Back