• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

HELP! lol...

Oilfield_Mafia

Oilfield Trash
Reaction score
Ok ya'll, Ive spent all freakin night on 2 or 3 sites trying to find out just what is right for my suspension needs..

Heres what I have 2007 Cassic 2500 CC/SB 4x4 and I just put on a set of 305/55/20 Nitto Terra Grapplers.. 33" tall.

I was going to get the 305/50's but they didnt have them in a 10 ply.. so I had to get the taller tires because I pull a big toy hauler 5th wheel for work ALOT. So to ake them fit ... (surprise surprise) they had to crank the torsion bars up and re-align the frontend...

Ive been looking at the cognito Upper Control Arm 2-3" levelling kit.. but from what I can read, THAT wont give me bak my stock ride quality.. I would just go with a 4" lift if I didnt have to pull the camper.. Can anyone here (hopefully our Nor- Cal suspension guru's) shed some light on what I need to have a safe, smooth ride that wont let these freakin tires rub ? Thanks in advance!

For your tire size I recommend a full 4" lift for BEST results. BUT it can be done with a leveling kit that Cognito uses a new UCA to maintain ride. I need to do a write up on this site to show how it works better. Have you seen this link: http://www.norcaltruck.com/cognito.html great info. If you need more help on what you need feel free to call in and talk to myself or Jeff. We have a ton of product that will help you.

Nor-Cal Nick

i have the a 07 classic with nicks goodies installed.the ride is way better than stock.pics in the album.i did have to trim a lil bit of plastic,but it was no big deal

You can fit 33's under a cognito leveling kit. This will also allow you to lower your torsion bars and help with ride quality. The 4in Cog kit would be a great option but if you are only trying to clear 33's and keep a good ride don't spend the money on a 4in kit. I have installed Every cognito lift Chad makes and you can't beat the quality for the GM trucks. Whatever you do purchase the Pitman idler support kit. it's the single best invest any GM owner can make weather a 6 or 8 lug truck.

Save the 1000.00 buy the piman kit, leveling kit and add some 5100 bilsteins to it.

Last edited:
For your tire size I recommend a full 4" lift for BEST results. BUT it can be done with a leveling kit that Cognito uses a new UCA to maintain ride. I need to do a write up on this site to show how it works better. Have you seen this link: http://www.norcaltruck.com/cognito.html great info. If you need more help on what you need feel free to call in and talk to myself or Jeff. We have a ton of product that will help you.

Nor-Cal Nick

Thanks guys, but with the 4" lift, will I still be able to hook up and pull my 5ver? or will I have to ift my camper as well?

I'd buy the 4" Cognito kit. Here are some pictures from Nick. This truck has 33" tires.

Attachments

• Cognito1.jpg
    Cognito1.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 16
  • Cognito3.jpg
    Cognito3.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 12
  • Cognito4.jpg
    Cognito4.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 9
  • Cognito5.jpg
    Cognito5.jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 7
  • Cognito6.jpg
    Cognito6.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 9
Man the 4" lift looks awesome, it really does.. but its not PRACTICAL! ... at least not for me.. I have to be able to pull my 5ver... So I think I'll just drop the grand and get the pitman kit, levelling kit and the Bilsteins.. One day when I dont have to actually USE my 3/4 ton as a truck.. I'll put a lift on it.. but for now, it has to be used as a work truck... pulling my camper.. Thanks for the help ya'll!

I bet you could pull a 5ver with the 4" kit. I know a bunch of guys that pull them with the Cognito 4-6 AND the Cognito 7-9.

You will love the Cognito Leveling kit. Later on down the road if you get a lift kit, you can still use the a-arms and braces but would have to buy shocks again. The new braces that will come in the lift kit you can sell to someone on here.

Thanks guys, but with the 4" lift, will I still be able to hook up and pull my 5ver? or will I have to ift my camper as well?

It all depends on your trailer, some trailer sit higher or can be raised to fit over the bed height. What is the 5er trailer?

Man the 4" lift looks awesome, it really does.. but its not PRACTICAL! ... at least not for me.. I have to be able to pull my 5ver... So I think I'll just drop the grand and get the pitman kit, levelling kit and the Bilsteins.. One day when I dont have to actually USE my 3/4 ton as a truck.. I'll put a lift on it.. but for now, it has to be used as a work truck... pulling my camper.. Thanks for the help ya'll!

You need to remember you are lifting your truck with a leveling kit so what I am saying is lets say you run the leveling kit at max lift, if you install a 4" lift you will only be about 1"-2" higher than the leveling kit. BUT your ride and working angles will be as good as factory!

It all comes down to budget and what wheel and tire you are planning to use. Yes the leveling kit can fit up to a 33" but on the skinny side. A full 33x12.50 will need a full 4" for best results.

How high did you crank the torsion bars?

What size are your wheels? (What's the Offset?

Those 305/55/20 tires should be around 33.2 inches in diameter with a diagonal dimension, tread to tread, of around 34.6 inches.

attachment.php

My calculations tell me that if your wheels have POSITIVE offset relatively close to the OEM dimension, you should be able to use the Cognito Leveling Kit and get a decent ride with relatively little trimming required. Actually, with positive wheel offset, you should be able to get by with mild cranking of the torsion bars and a little trimming.

Attachments

• Tire Dimensions.JPG
    Tire Dimensions.JPG
    41.1 KB · Views: 40
Ray you are correct. The problem with cranking torsion bars and replacing the keys is for one you will always fight alighnment issues 2nd the ride quality goes in the dump.

Back