• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Help for conversion

cliff70chevy

Reaction score
I have a like new 1987 Chevrolet S10 Blazer, 2.8 V6, 4X4, Tahoe edition. It came from an estate sale recently with 62K low low miles on it. The 135 HP 135 TQ 2.8V6 is a real slug. It probably could not compete with some riding mowers. I am hoping to find someone here that would be willing to swap in a 1.9 VW ALH turbo diesel. There are complete kits that will bolt a TDI to a Chevrolet TH700R4. It would be amazing to have 30+MPH, even with a slightly larger ingectors, larger turbo and a mild cam. I would still need to replace the 700r4 for a newer one that has the 90 degree bell housing bolt pattern. I am a retired disabled LEO and I do not turn wrenches any more. Is there anybody here that would be willing to take on this project.

I have a like new 1987 Chevrolet S10 Blazer, 2.8 V6, 4X4, Tahoe edition. It came from an estate sale recently with 62K low low miles on it. The 135 HP 135 TQ 2.8V6 is a real slug. It probably could not compete with some riding mowers. I am hoping to find someone here that would be willing to swap in a 1.9 VW ALH turbo diesel. There are complete kits that will bolt a TDI to a Chevrolet TH700R4. It would be amazing to have 30+MPH, even with a slightly larger ingectors, larger turbo and a mild cam. I would still need to replace the 700r4 for a newer one that has the 90 degree bell housing bolt pattern. I am a retired disabled LEO and I do not turn wrenches any more. Is there anybody here that would be willing to take on this project.
Have you considered a Mercedes diesel? There are kits to bolt even the later mechanical injected Benz inline turbo 6 IDI onto a 700r4 and much less a PITA to do. Why the 700r4? Because of its lower 1st gear that complements the Benz diesel...however, you will need a diesel governor too.

Where are You located Cliff ?
Might be a member in Your area to take it on.
I would if someone would twist the wrenches. i have a garage/shop combo sort of a thing and plenty of tools and welding devices.

I think the Mercedes is much too long to fit. I am in Eastern Tennessee. I am really interested in this swap. 30 + MPG in the future is interesting.
Welp, thats a bit too far to make the conversion from here. LOL
Might be someone in the area though.
Chris at Twisted Steel Performance, a sponsor to this site, He might not be too far from You, I dont know if He does such jobs as this but i do know the work He does is highest of quality.
You might contact Him and see how His schedule is.

Yes, I have looked at the Cummimns Re-power 2.8. I looks like a sweet deal. There are two issues that are stopping me. One is that NOBODY at Cummins Re-power unit responds to their EMails or calls. When they do, they refer you to the wrong people. The last time they refered me to a dealer in Knoxville who told me that he was not authorized to sell them, that he could only get me the 4BT. The other is that they are supposedly having issues with being poorly made with parts from China and there are bad reviews because of that. Now with the Corona Virus who knows. Even if I could get one now, I think I would still want the VW 1.9 TDI ALH model. The VW ALH engine is almost bullet proof. It can be easily modded for a mild build or overbuilt for huge gains of HP & TQ. The US model ALH is:TDI output is 90 horsepower, peaking at 3750 rpm, while its 155 pound-feet of torque is there at just 1900 rpm. In Europe the VW Bora with the same ALH is 150HP 320TQ. With slightly larger injectors, turbo and cam you are looking at 200HP with gobs of TQ. Since there is already a kit to mate it to the Chevrolet transmission, this is a no brainer. All you would need are motor mounts, PS lines, AC lines, hook up the included ALH's PWR brake vaccuum pump, wire the Alternator, exhaust hook up and the other minor nuts and bolts issues. All I need is someone willing to do the swap. The S10 is a garage queen so there is no rush, I just need someone up to the task.

Yes, I have looked at the Cummimns Re-power 2.8. I looks like a sweet deal. There are two issues that are stopping me. One is that NOBODY at Cummins Re-power unit responds to their EMails or calls. When they do, they refer you to the wrong people. The last time they refered me to a dealer in Knoxville who told me that he was not authorized to sell them, that he could only get me the 4BT. The other is that they are supposedly having issues with being poorly made with parts from China and there are bad reviews because of that. Now with the Corona Virus who knows. Even if I could get one now, I think I would still want the VW 1.9 TDI ALH model. The VW ALH engine is almost bullet proof. It can be easily modded for a mild build or overbuilt for huge gains of HP & TQ. The US model ALH is:TDI output is 90 horsepower, peaking at 3750 rpm, while its 155 pound-feet of torque is there at just 1900 rpm. In Europe the VW Bora with the same ALH is 150HP 320TQ. With slightly larger injectors, turbo and cam you are looking at 200HP with gobs of TQ. Since there is already a kit to mate it to the Chevrolet transmission, this is a no brainer. All you would need are motor mounts, PS lines, AC lines, hook up the included ALH's PWR brake vaccuum pump, wire the Alternator, exhaust hook up and the other minor nuts and bolts issues. All I need is someone willing to do the swap. The S10 is a garage queen so there is no rush, I just need someone up to the task.
Interesting, about Cummins 2.8 being poorly made 1st I have heard of this, Cummins is and has been headquartered in China for many years now as is Holset however there are foundries here in the USA and Brazil that cast blocks heads etc...

I suspect the VW diesel will not get anywhere near 30mpg with performance build and tune but hey it is a good diesel too so good luck with whatever you decide.

I think with the mild build and the OD Trans with lock up, it might get 30MPG. I am not building a 450HP motor, just taking the stock motor and increasing the volumetric efficency a bit. These motors have been known to get 30-54 mpg and the S10 is not that heavy. I am old and I drive like old people have sex so all I can do is appreciate the build (if I ever get it done) and hope for the best. I am kind of willing to ship it to get it done if I find someone I feel comfortable with to do it.

Back