• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Hello my name is yvon.1have a 2000 silverado k2500.with only 95k on the clock. I,m pulling a 6000 lbd 28 footer sail boat ,

yvon

Reaction score
i have an issue with the tach.On startup it seems to work but stays down to 1ooo rpm and sometimes flicker a bit. I need to know where is it connected.On older gm it was on the alternator but not on this one. Can you help?? Thanks

Hello Yvon, welcome to the forum.
For some reason I am thinking that all the 6.5s tachometers is fed off of the alternator.
I questioned once if it could be off the crankshaft position sensor but it was replied back that it is off of the alternator. Mine is a 2000 k3500

Hello Yvon, welcome to the forum.
For some reason I am thinking that all the 6.5s tachometers is fed off of the alternator.
I questioned once if it could be off the crankshaft position sensor but it was replied back that it is off of the alternator. Mine is a 2000 k3500
thanks for your help mine isalso a 2000 but a k2500

thanks for the details, is there a special connector to the alternator? My tach is flicking when the truck it is started than goes down to 1000rpm mark and stays there.

Probably a bad connection at the alternator harness. The multi wire plug.
I believe that the tach signal is picked up off of the field winding, I could be wrong. It might require getting Your alternator rebuilt or a reman from the parts store.
The parts store alternators usually has a pulley for a gas engine application and so it will read more RPMs than what the engine is actually cranking.
If You change alternators be sure to measure the pulleys, if the pulley on Your current alternator is larger than the one on a reman, then switch out the pulleys before sending back Your alternator.

Back