• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Hello All

blue diesel

Reaction score
I recently bought this lady, 1996 Silverado with the 6.5 because I needed more pulling power than my 88 scotsdale with the 350 has. But come to find out my Scotsdale can out pull this lady as it sits. I get a lot of smoke when I am taking off or pulling a load with Blue. Max speed with a small camp trailer is 45 miles per hour
From what I understand I have a problem with the Turbo. I operated diesels for years in the military, but this is the first I have owned. While in the military if I had a problem I just had to take it to the mechanic. lol. I have since been retired. I am good at turning wrench on gas engines but I don't have to much knowledge on the working of a diesel. On the Turbo charger there is, lets say a spring loaded bar. If I correct it is a mechanical waste gate. If I am correct, how do I tell if it is working and get my turbo going? Please help if you can

Attachments

• 20190722_104652.jpg
    20190722_104652.jpg
    166.7 KB · Views: 5
  • 20190722_104804.jpg
    20190722_104804.jpg
    105.6 KB · Views: 5
Welcome, Does sound like low boost, Add a boost gauge to verify. You can drill and tap the intake or buy a boost bolt from a vendor. The pic , can't tell for sure but the spring looks real small.

Welcome, Does sound like low boost, Add a boost gauge to verify. You can drill and tap the intake or buy a boost bolt from a vendor. The pic , can't tell for sure but the spring looks real small.
It does have a boost gauge inside the cab, but the tube is not connected to anything on the engine

as I under stand it , It is an adjustable resistor that wires into the map sensor so the computer wont see over boost. Guessing your 96 is still electronic injector pump?

welcome. he has you on right track, keep following him. don't worry about a boost fooler right now, just tighten the nut to add more boost, loosen to lower it. keep it at max 10 for now. once you get kinks worked out you can modify for more power.

this diesel engine is different than most.
NEVER use starting fluid
NEVER run it over 220f, at 210 calm down.
Make sure the 2 oil lines going to the cooler at the radiator from near oil filter don't leak AT ALL. replace immediately if they do.
make sure harmonic balancer is in good condition.
the above 4 are engine killers.

There is a lot of power and improved mpg that can be had from the engine how you have it now, but that is $$.
Spend time reading all the stickies and ask before you buy any parts- lot of rip offs out there.
Depending where you are, there may be a 6.5 nut near you to help out on occasion.

Welcome... I'd say they're right on the money.. that spring they have on there looks way too small from what I can see.. but you can try tightening down the nut on top of the spring and see if you get better performance... If not then just get a bigger spring... The prior owner did exactly what most of us do, they eliminated the vacuum pump wastegate and built a manual one which in my opinion works much better and has almost zero room for failure unlike the vacuum ones that like to fail at the worst possible time and cost a fortune to fix.. I attached a pic of where the boost gauge should be tapped into your intake.. (my piping isn't the best yet just temporary) till I can get copper line to put in there.. but you get the idea... But if you go to Leroy diesel web page he sells a bolt that you can put right into the intake so you don't have to drill the hole in it to do it the way I did.. if you look at the two center bolts on your intake you might already have one and just don't realize it.. it would stick up further than the rest of them ..
Again welcome

Attachments

• 1563834099803584081637.jpg
    1563834099803584081637.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 0
Welcome... I'd say they're right on the money.. that spring they have on there looks way too small from what I can see.. but you can try tightening down the nut on top of the spring and see if you get better performance... If not then just get a bigger spring... The prior owner did exactly what most of us do, they eliminated the vacuum pump wastegate and built a manual one which in my opinion works much better and has almost zero room for failure unlike the vacuum ones that like to fail at the worst possible time and cost a fortune to fix.. I attached a pic of where the boost gauge should be tapped into your intake.. (my piping isn't the best yet just temporary) till I can get copper line to put in there.. but you get the idea... But if you go to Leroy diesel web page he sells a bolt that you can put right into the intake so you don't have to drill the hole in it to do it the way I did.. if you look at the two center bolts on your intake you might already have one and just don't realize it.. it would stick up further than the rest of them ..
Again welcome
I did have that port to attach the boost vacuum line, but t was broken. I replaced it and I am currently getting between 2 and 3psi on the boost. I will try tightening the nut as suggested and if need be get a bigger spring. Thank you

Make sure you don't take her over 10 PSI on the boost gauge Once you get that spring changed... You don't want to risk blowing a head gasket... Never done one on my truck and praying to God I never have to cuz it looks like a real p .i. a... (Of course that's also why my valve cover gaskets have not been changed) just got to dumped a quart of oil in her every other week LOL.. it's on the Round to it list.

Back