• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

H2 Wheels on a 2500 Classic

Marauderer

Grumpy Old Cur***geon
Reaction score
I have been reseasrching this wheel and I see it is 17" dia. and 8.5" wide. I see some guys are running it on their 2500's. How is the back spacing and offset for these trucks. I also see the GMC center caps can be used but they need some machining to fit properly. Also is there any difference with what year H2 you get. All input is appreciated.

I know some are Chrome and some are silver. I know a lot of guys run 285's with them too with no suspension mods. Other than that I don't know much.

I believe the last year of the hummer had a different style wheel. Which looked nice IMO.

Most say the Backspacing, etc, is the perfect fit for our trucks.

Ok, I got a set of H2 wheels 17X8.5 and a set of Nitto 285 Tera Grapplers.

1020878878_APFvr-M.jpg

I only had to trim the 4 little pads off the back of the center caps to get them to work well
1020878801_6TPup-M.jpg

I turned up the torsion bars 1.5" and it still rubs. I will trim the plastic on the bumper and then drop the from back down 1" for a lift of only .5" I hope that it will work.

Thanks GW. I see your a 6.5 guy. I had many years enjoying my 6.2's and 6.5.

My most recent 6.5.
737170544_Xz3BU-M.jpg

I wish I had kept it but as you know hind sight is always 20/20.

Yes, I wish I had kept it and done the Duramax conversion. I was on my 4th engine at 100K mi and I was running out of warranty.

Yup, that's a good reason to trade up.

A dmax conversion really needs to be done on a project truck, or you need a reliable transportation alternative until you manage to get it running and all the bugs worked out.

Still, looks like you did alright with the crew cab...

Thanks Gerald, BJ, GW, and Devin. It sure does ride nice. My Darling Wife chauffeured me around today while we were out and she had a grand time driving and enjoyed herself.

Truck is really running good. Just have the exhaust yet to do and a few minor projects like the PCV reroute.

I am looking for a 5th H2 wheel so I have a full sized spare. Everything I read says a 285 will fit in the spare tire carrier.

Everything I read says a 285 will fit in the spare tire carrier.
As long as you are still running the stock hitch it will. I can't get more than a worn 265 in front of the Putnam but I don't trust the stocker with 15k hooked to it.

Ah, I got it. I currently do not plan on towing over 7K lbs but, that could change tomorrow.

I wonder how much the factory hitch is rated for? I will have to look that up unless you know off the top of your head.

I keep forgetting I will need a brake controller and need to get one and install before I get my Trailer. I am looking at a 7'X16' cargo trailer with 3500# axles that i can tow my junk from here to there.

Look in your book Barry but IIRC it's a class IV. Biggest problem has always been that the receiver is pretty soft and the pin hole ovals which leads to it getting shocked and tearing itself up. There were a bunch of horror stories about them back in the day at DP. Having said that... a majority still run stock and have no trouble with it. I just got cautious.

Back