• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Guage preferance thread

Matt Bachand

Depends on the 6.5
Reaction score
I am soon to buy a full 3 pc set of guages and triple a pillar.

I had my mind set on optix, and i've been warned on some unpositive reviews.

So I want a fresh thread on which guages to buy. I want my boost guage to be a 0-15 readout, and I would like all guages to match.

Price is always a concern, but I want to make sure I get reliable, accurate guages. I hate doing things twice and even more, hate buying things twice.

A poll thread would be nice, but I don't know how to do it, nor know enough brands of guages to do it with.

Thanks guys.

thats crazy the optix are some of the best guages on the market. we are dealer for them and autometer. I don't think you can beat either. I like the look of the optix and use them myself in my truck.

I'm not a fan of the ISSPRO. I can't stand there modual boxes and Have had issues with them in the past.

We have had sold hundred of kits of the optix and never had a single problem to date.

You can't lose with the optix or autometers.

Let me know if we can help

I like the concept of being able to tie into the factory boost and trans temp sensors. I am investigating whether I can get away with simply using them with some gauges.

Rob :)

I have VDO guages, well, boost and Pyro. I want a different trans temp guage then they offered. But they are the best deal I could find. I wanna say both guages were $130.

Elaborate more please. I'm intrigued.

Hi Matt,

The transmission and the intake both have factory sensors which the PCM/ECM uses to determine what's going on in those places. Since we 6.5'ers typically want three gauges (boost, EGT, trans temp) I figured that it would be good to tap into the factory sensors for 2 reasons:

1. Reduces number of sensors and holes drilled/tapped into the vehicle
  2. Allows us to 'see' exactly what the ECM is seeing (although some might argue that an independent sensor would be helpful - which I don't dispute)
I have read from others that the sensors that GM uses are common garden variety types (i.e. they have linear voltage or ohm readings, nothing special), so the issue is simply to get gauges that can adapt to the sensors that are already in the vehicle.

I have been looking into gauges that can adapt to different intake sensors, such as those made by Auber instruments (just Google that name) and you'll see that there are manufacturers who do just that - create gauges that can be used with a variety of sensors. You just need to calibrate the gauge to the sensor in question, e.g. 1 volt swing = 20 degrees F, and then set your sensor limits.

Note that the Auber instruments also allow for output to a beeper or alarm, so that you can hear when you're having a problem. I like that idea. AND to top it off, they are extremely affordable.

That's been my line of thinking.

Any gauge (or any other device for that matter) tied into the vehicle's sensor system will have to be a very high impedance device. Otherwise you'll cause the ECM to see false information probably causing all kinds of bizarre probs.
I don't know of any aftermarket gauges that give you the input impedance of the device - Could be wrong on that though. The safest way to get the same info that the ECM is getting is to read it from the ECM after its processed the data. In otherwords, a scanner. I'd contact Auber and ask them if your idea will work before spending the money. I see that they also sell the input devices for their instruments...
A few holes done in a workman like manner aren't a big deal - We've been doing it for years.

Any gauge (or any other device for that matter) tied into the vehicle's sensor system will have to be a very high impedance device. Otherwise you'll cause the ECM to see false information probably causing all kinds of bizarre probs.
I don't know of any aftermarket gauges that give you the input impedance of the device - Could be wrong on that though. The safest way to get the same info that the ECM is getting is to read it from the ECM after its processed the data. In otherwords, a scanner. I'd contact Auber and ask them if your idea will work before spending the money. I see that they also sell the input devices for their instruments...
A few holes done in a workman like manner aren't a big deal - We've been doing it for years.

Radioman, very good point. Perhaps I assume incorrectly that most gauges are very high impedance, or else they would affect the circuit they are measuring. However, that is for temporary use things like oscilloscopes and multimeters... We'll have to check on gauges.

I have the bully dog set from SSDiesel. Currently I only have the boost gauge hooked up and its already got to be sent back to be replaced (engine off and I show 6 #'s of boost). It's only been on the truck for 3 months.

So no brand will ever be perfect, just seems funny to hear of problems so frequently...

I really do like the looks of Optix, and the boost is a 0-15.. the 3 piece set would look nice...

All I know is my Jardine 4" exhaust is arriving soon, and I want to have an EGT installed 1 week before I install the exhaust so I can see what I've been running for 3 years, pre exhaust upgrade.

I still like my Autometer Nexus gauges... No problems with them. I can also use the Autometer software to record the data that is sent to the gauges... I don't use it but I like to know that I can if I need.....

I have ISSPRO gauges as I was told that they were of good quality.

I should have got Autometer instead. I was under the impression that I was running 15 psi of boost as indicated by the ISSPRO gauges for a couple thousand kms. Then my headgaskets let go. Turned out that when I hooked up my gmtdscantech, I was actually running 18 psi of boost.

Whatever you get, make sure you run a scanner on the truck to double check on accuracy.....just my 2 cents from an expensive lesson learned...

I used VDO Vision series gauges, they offered a 0-15 boost gauge, they are back lit and resemble the stock gauges. Down side is there are no indicators to indicate a measurement is reaching an extreme level. I mounted them in the junk pocket in the dash under the ac controller. I like the stock don't steel me I'm nothing special look. :)

Autometer Fullsweeps. I love the look and they are accurate against the scanner. No issues. The A pillar mount from Auto meter however fit like crap IMO. I think even though it was supposed to be for my bodystyle , it looked like a one size fits all. Had to do some grinding and still isn't perfect.

Attachments

• DSCF0001.jpg
    DSCF0001.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 13
Back