• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Got A Squeaky Pulley

Mad Maxx

See, what had happened was...
Reaction score
For the past few Weeks, I've Noticed when I Start my Truck in the Morning, I have a Squeaky Pulley somewhere. Dunno what one it is, but it's been there long enough now that it's Annoying / Bothering me.

I got out the WD40 just before when it was doing it, and I hit the A/C Compressor Pulley, and nothing, then I hit the Power Steering Pulley on the Belt Ribs and the Squeak went away. So I think it may be that Pulley.

It's not a Constant Sqeak, it Lopes. Once the Engine Warms up, it kinda goes away, but it's still there Faintly.

I also NEVER EVER use my A/C, so could that cause it as well? If they make an A/C Delete Pulley / Kit, I'd throw that on there and just get rid of it all.

Any Idea's?

Ckeck the idler pulley on the tensioner. They squeal when they go out. If it's the least bit loose, replace it.

James, I am going through the same condition right now. Make sure the smooth pulleys don't have any surface rust on them. I hit mine with a scotch brite pad. I also removed the writing on the belt. Then the wd-40. I still have a slight chirp that takes longer to clear out on rainy days. Just this morning I ordered a Goodyear Gatorback belt. I have read this is the fix. We will see. The above information I received from Stacks04. Its all worth a shot.

Joe any tricks to changing the belt.

I pick up the new belt tomorrow. If all goes well I will report back on the outcome.

James, If you use your defrost at all it kicks in the compressor so even though you never use the AC, you still "use it".

If spraying the belt makes it go away, it's not an idler pulley but the belt. What many are finding out though it isn't the belt causing it, but an alignment issue with the pulley's. Changing the belt makes it go away for a little while then it comes back. Get a yard stick or something similiar and go out and check the alignment on your pulley's. I know on mine the power steering pump pulley wasn't pressed on fully and was causing it.

i went through 4 idler pullys before i hit 10k.

i also got a gatorback and it literally shredded driving down the road while i was pulling a trailer. they have a reputation for failing :(

i ended up getting a slightly shorter belt, a 119 instead of the factory 119.5 no squeeks and no belt failures

Mine sqeeks also.

I'm too lazy to have it taken care of. It has done it since day one also!

For the past few Weeks, I've Noticed when I Start my Truck in the Morning, I have a Squeaky Pulley somewhere. Dunno what one it is, but it's been there long enough now that it's Annoying / Bothering me.

I got out the WD40 just before when it was doing it, and I hit the A/C Compressor Pulley, and nothing, then I hit the Power Steering Pulley on the Belt Ribs and the Squeak went away. So I think it may be that Pulley.

It's not a Constant Sqeak, it Lopes. Once the Engine Warms up, it kinda goes away, but it's still there Faintly.

I also NEVER EVER use my A/C, so could that cause it as well? If they make an A/C Delete Pulley / Kit, I'd throw that on there and just get rid of it all.

Any Idea's?

Mine does the exact same thing. I changed the belt about two years ago but its now doing it again. Time for a new belt. :mad2:

Just Checked the Pulley's, they're all Tight and Shiny.

Good, I only suggested it as a process of elimination. You don't want an idler pulley to go out. Mine went out on a road trip fly fishing vacation in August of 2008. First heard the whine in Winnemucca, Nevada. Suspected the idler pulley and made a note to myself to lube it in Boise, Idaho. Didn't make it. Lost it going down a decent grade in Eastern Oregon. Nothing like losing power steering, A/C and watching your engine temp skyrocket to 260 degrees with steep embankments on both sides of the road. I finally was able to pull off at the bottom of the grade. Great, it was 100 degrees out, wife and my two English Springers out there in the middle of nowhere by a sign marking the Oregon Trail. I was able to flag down a highway patrolman, but it took him 1/3 of a mile to stop and turn around. I got towed about 4 mles to the next town which was Rome Oregon. Woohooo! Small cafe and a collection of all the highway wrecks they tow there. I was able to scavenge an idler pulley off a Chevy 350 engine, only the bolt holding it on was the opposite thread, but the bearing was the same size. The pulley itself is a bit narrower, but it's been in there since. I will be replacing it next week. Long overdue. That was an adventure, but only set me back 2 hours on the road there. Did I say Rome Oregon?

Steve

got mine from carquest in the heavy duty truck application. (green belt i think) the length is usually in the part number xxx11950 xxx11900 or something along those lines

The new belt is in. Goodyear Gatorback P/N 4061195. No squeak right now. I will report back after the first damp/rainy morning.

you will prob have a couple squeeks on a cool or wet morning but they will go away quick.

bill did you remove the pita shroud?

you will prob have a couple squeeks on a cool or wet morning but they will go away quick.

Waiting on the first wet morning for sure. This morning it was quiet. :D

bill did you remove the pita shroud?

You bet as well as the air box. I couldn't get anything in the square hole in the tensioner. Was an easy job once you can see what your working on.

It's really Stupid that you gotta Remove the Fan Shroud and other Crap just to Change a Belt.

We NEED a Bolt-On Electric Fan Kit for out Trucks.

It's really Stupid that you gotta Remove the Fan Shroud and other Crap just to Change a Belt.

We NEED a Bolt-On Electric Fan Kit for out Trucks.

My guess is that it was to last you 100,000 miles so they did not make it for every day access.

I exchanged PM's with Joe (Stacks04) and asked him what needs to be removed. His reply was nothing but did suggest the shroud. These guys have all the tricks. :thumbsup:

I thought at one time a read someone was producing an electric fan kit for these trucks. I have also read you can mount 2 Ford Taurus Fans side by side.

Back