• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Good Morning, i am new to the site and i am into the older "square body" gm trucks.

Joeshovelhead

Reaction score
I have a few of them, but the piticular truck i am looking for info on is a 87 gmc cab/chassis r3500. Does any one know what year GM changed the frame width on the c/c back in the late 80s? I know they changed most frame widths for 1988, but I do not think they changed ALL the frames for 1988, thanks y'all for being hear!

There isn’t a specific year cut off. Back then a customer could still order out of year spec chassis. So a fleet could order a 1989 with the 85 specs. Parts availability and nightmares by the parts department in dealerships finally brought that to an end. While it sounds great for the customer who knew what he wanted and why, 5 years later when no one could figure out how to get the needed part that previously happy customer went without his truck for a year looking for a simple part.

What exactly are you looking for or trying to find out?

GM Will, thank you for your help. I have a 87 gmc cab /chassis r3500. I need to replace the rear end. (Casting is patched with jb weld). Idk, but I thought they ran the narrower frames past 87???
Thank you joe

Yeah, 87 was the cut off year. 88 started the new of style gmt400. If your hunting for parts at the junkyard your lookin in the Late 70s into 87. Your going to need to get some twpe measure time. The brake backing plates from each other, Perches, etc.

You might be into redoing an incorrect axle with tube and axle lenght swaps.
Sorry, wish I was more help

Yeah, 87 was the cut off year. 88 started the new of style gmt400. If your hunting for parts at the junkyard your lookin in the Late 70s into 87. Your going to need to get some twpe measure time. The brake backing plates from each other, Perches, etc.

You might be into redoing an incorrect axle with tube and axle lenght swaps.
Sorry, wish I was more help
GM continued the square body trucks in 1 tons through 91. In 91 you could still buy a brand new square body truck with a 4l80e trans and a 454 for a tow rig. As far as I know though, in 88 GM changed them up some, but I don't believe the frame rail widths changed on them. My neighbor has an 88 and it has pretty narrow frame rails on it.

Back