• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Good day all; A quick intro.

Minewright2

Reaction score
1994 6.5 2wd, short box, ext cab, 4l80e. 593659.2 on the odometer.
Swapped out original block last summer (2019) for a 506 block 6.5td that was rebuilt in 2017 , checked it over completely before instal , all good. It has just under 190 hours on it in my service with no issues.
Have every receipt from original bill of sale to now.
Used as a daily driver as well as to and from work which here in Northern BC is often in the dark
Headlight modification HID low beams LED highs both on relays and a crossover so all four come up on highbeam, wiring upgraded to 10ga
fog lights run with a toggle and "the array" of driving lights activated by an aftermarket floor switch
the array consists of a 20" single row light bar as well as two 16 led bulb 5" lights and two 9 led bulb 4" lights. I can clearly see 4 or 5 power poles down road when all are lit. Not legal but have had no issues with Johnny Law about it as of yet
Feed the beast mod, high idle mod, manual glowplug override, homemade turbo master, pmd relocated, 4" exhaust, battery cables upgraded to 1/0 welding cable, all grounds either 4ga or new braided ground lines.
Fuel filter lifted 2" for ease of access, lift pump power bypass, pyrometer and boost gauge put in where the radio used to live, 3,000w power inverter on the trans hump and airbags on the rear axles.
There's more but that is what I have off the top of my head.

I've got a problem with the old girl that is new to me.
Oil pressure has always been right around 45 psi after warm up with idle at no less than 30 . I run 15/40 with Wix filters and change it on schedule every time.
Started it up and watched the pressure climb to 80psi which has never happened before . Looked underneath no lake forming so let it idle until warmed while watching the pressure drop slowly to 10 psi. Hit the go pedal and with a bit of lag it climbed back to 40 psi at 2500 rpm.
Changed the filter, flushed the oil with Amsoil oil flush and added new oil. ( no shmoo in the drain pan and filter autopsy was clean) Same thing with a cold start up to 80 then slowly dropping. Verified with a manual gauge. Changed the cooler bypass valve which made a difference.
Cold start pressure at no more than 30 and warm idle below 10.
I'm thinking pull the pan and change the pump and since I'm in there check bearing clearances.
Any other ideas about what to look at while I've got it in the air?

Sounds like classic cam fail bearing to me.
You might get lucky and have a weak oil pump spring but I doubt it. Also could have dumped the turbo bearing/seal. to loose it that bad at one time you will see descent loss of oil through turbo.

Remember low spec is 8psi but you have to decide when it’s worth it to drive until grenade or rip all apart for

Back