• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Going to install an auxiliary fuel tank...6.5

Mezmorized

Reaction score
Due to a fuel problem I'm having (getting air in the FFM), I've decided to go ahead and install my auxiliary fuel tank that I bought for the truck 2 years ago. I'll be installing a Baldwin FB1301 filter base on the frame between the tank and the LP. The FB1301 has 2 inlets and 2 outlets FB1301.jpg The 2 inlets are perpendicular to each other and the 2 outlets are horizontal and opposite each other.

The aux. tank will be plumbed to the vertical inlet with a ball valve at the filter base. The stock tank will be plumbed to the horizontal inlet also with a ball valve. The outlet facing the rear of the truck will be blocked and the outlet facing the front of the truck will be plumbed to the LP.

I will be installing a T in the return line that will also be plumbed with ball valves (one to each tank).

This way, I will be able to isolate the the tanks from each other in hopes that the air issue is in the line from the tank to the filter base. Having the tanks isolated from each other leaves me with having to T the return line. Or else, if I was running the aux. tank by itself, I would be slowly filling the main tank with the return line.

By the time I'm done, I will have also done the LP relay mod, replaced the OPS and do the GP relay mod.

The reason behind doing it this way is to isolate the suspected issue without spending a pile of money doing it. I already have the aux. tank and I've been meaning to install it anyway.

If, by chance, it does not solve the issue, then I would not have wasted time dropping the stock tank to check things out, replace parts and hope for the best. If it does solve the issue, then I can plan on getting a new sending unit and replacing the existing lines to the main tank.

Fingers crossed, I hope the weather is good enough to get started on it tomorrow :) :cool:

Good luck! Snap a few photos if you can and document the upgrade. It could help a member with the same problem in the future.

Ok, cap off...

20130406_140817.jpg

Now for the tank...

20130406_141829.jpg

The tank is a home made piece (not by me) and wasn't equipped to accept a fuel return line. So I got a bulk head fitting from work and put an o-ring on it for added insurance...

20130406_142856.jpg

Time to make a hole for the bulk head fitting (oops didn't take a pic).

I took off the filler next for better access to install the nut on bulk head fitting inside the tank and tighten it down...

20130406_150225.jpg

At this point I was pretty confident I wouldn't have a leaking issue, but overkill is best... Permatex Cold Weld time!...

20130406_152216.jpg

Now I have to let it set, so I went inside and posted here :)

I don't like how bulky the fitting out of the tank is...

20130406_141839.jpg

It has a 3/4" NPT nipple into a 3/4" NPT ball valve then bushed twice into the 90 and what seems to be a 1/2" barb fitting.

On the bottom left hand of the pic you can see the bulkhead fitting with it's nut and washer.

And here's the filter base with the network of fittings...

20130406_135047.jpg

I know those are just 1/4" ball valves, but the inside diameter is no smaller than the 3/8" barbed hose fitting.

I don't like the fact that the person who built the tank used a hydraulic tank cap instead of a fuel cap. I'll have to source one of these through my work and switch it over...

prd_240.jpg

I don't quite understand why this thread got moved to "Intakes and Exhausts". I would never look for a fuel tank in Intakes. I mainly browse and post in the 6.5 sections. No wonder I'm talking to myself.

Looking at some of the posts in that section I see a lot of fuel related stuff... I guess it's because it's in the main category "Your Pulling Resources". But still don't get the intakes and exhausts bit. LOL

Yeah, the section could maybe be labeled "Intakes/Exhaust & Fuel Systems". I think everyone just kinda figures it out after a bit.

I don't think your talking to yourself, a lot of readers. You just don't have any questions and seem to not be making any mistakes for anyone to speak up about.
A long term suggestion- when you fix the original problem you could replace the manual valve system to an electric one like was used in the late 70's. I remember there was a valve that had twin inputs, if you used 2 of those you could have a single switch operate them so the return line changes back to the correct tank automatically when changing tanks.

Also I didn't notice a sending unit in the tank. iirc Leroy that sells the nice one and he said he could make them to length.

I don't quite understand why this thread got moved to "Intakes and Exhausts". I would never look for a fuel tank in Intakes. I mainly browse and post in the 6.5 sections. No wonder I'm talking to myself.

Looking at some of the posts in that section I see a lot of fuel related stuff... I guess it's because it's in the main category "Your Pulling Resources". But still don't get the intakes and exhausts bit. LOL

The 6.5 Engine section is limited to engine specific types of questions and issues. An auxiliary fuel tank has nothing to do with a 6.5 engine, nor is it engine specific related. An auxiliary fuel tank is more related to the "Fuel System Upgrade", that is located inside the intake and exhaust section, than an engine specific type of question. We are all about organization here at TTS. Sorry, we discussed the placement in the back room, and then moved it to where it best fit.

The 6.5 Engine section is limited to engine specific types of questions and issues. An auxiliary fuel tank has nothing to do with a 6.5 engine, nor is it engine specific related. An auxiliary fuel tank is more related to the "Fuel System Upgrade", that is located inside the intake and exhaust section, than an engine specific type of question. We are all about organization here at TTS. Sorry, we discussed the placement in the back room, and then moved it to where it best fit.

I partially agree, but I'm also chasing a fuel problem which I am attempting to fix by doing the tank install.

Well, not much is going to happen today, we had snow, freezing rain and it's still here. So will be working on other stuff in the garage instead.

I do have to take the filler neck off again on the aux. tank to install a tube from the bulk head fitting to the bottom of the tank. Since I'm still posting about fuel issues in another section, the tube was brought to my attention in this thread http://www.thetruckstop.us/forum/showthread.php?39197-Was-talking-to-a-co-worker-that-also-has-a-6-5-turbo-diesel-about-my-fuel-issue&p=446141&viewfull=1#post446141

The bulkhead fitting in 1/4" NPT. So I picked up a 1/4" NPT male to 5/16" inverted flare female fitting and a 30" piece of prefab brake line that I will cut to length.

Pictures when I get it started.

I installed the return tube in the tank tonight, i'll post pics later... my phone died. I also replaced the bulky 3/4" ball valve. :) They are forecasting again so it doesn't look good to get this done soon. I am however, about to get under the truck to plan where I'm going to install the filter base and then make the holes in the bed to run the lines. I might only be able to get back to it this Sunday... We'll see.

I just hepled a guy with his 98 2500. It sucked air after sitting, turns out when he changed his sock and cleaned debris out of the tank a few months ago, something caught on the return line and he cut it off near the top of the tank. When truck was parked at an angle is was allowing air from the tank into the return line to draft all the way up to the pump! We put a line back on it and 2 weeks now with no problems. Wouldnt believe it if i hadnt seen it.

Make sure you return line goes into the tank as deep as the pickup tube.

Well, on Sunday I mocked up the location of the fuel filter, and while I was under the truck I noticed the frame was damp... I looked up and could see 2 more compression fittings, one on the feed side and one on the return side. That makes a total of 3 compression fittings including the other one on the feed side that I initially noticed this summer. To top that off, I also could see where the lines met rubber hose before heading up over the fuel tank. One of the hoses didn't appear to have the clamp all the way tight, but I can't get to it. So heading towards this weekend, I have to take the box off the truck and see what I'm up against. Probably remove the fuel tank sock while I'm at it.

I couldn't get the box off. The first bolt I tried to remove just start spinning the nut in the channel. So I just plumed the auxiliary tank and plugged the feed and return line to the main tank for the moment. I will likely get a new tank, sender, straps and run some new lines when I can afford it and have time.

Back