• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

GMT400 Engine Oil Cooler Upgrade: Add 2 quarts! (SAS guys you'll want to see this)

88gmctruck

02GMCtruck
Reaction score
Ever since I have owned my 88, I have despised the engine oil filter. Not only is it small, but it's at a rediculous angle that makes installing and removing it somewhat messy. Anyone who has changed oil in a GMT400 truck will have noticed that it drains directly through the front u-joint. Since the 350 motor (along with every other motor in a GMT400 truck) was designed well before the IFS suspension under it, GM made an oil filter adapter that angled the filter out of the way of the front driveshaft.

Now, Since I have converted my truck to a passenger drop D44, my driveline is now on the passenger side, just like the older GM trucks. So, I purchased old style oil adapter. The reason behind this is to put the filter straight down, and upgrade to a larger oil filter. The second portion of this install was to add a fully external oil cooler. now, even if your truck is still IFS the cooler upgrade is still possible.

Parts:

\Oil filter adapter (included new gasket, o-ring and bolts) - 12562831 - $13.00 - Ebay
Donaldson P550964 Oil filters (16 of them) - $32.00 - Ebay
Oil cooler line fittings - 15529401 - $5.49 - Napa
Cooler Line Out - 12472230 - $44.00 - Local GM dealer
Cooler Line In - 12472234 - $44.00 - Local GM dealer
Engine Oil Cooler (included the items below) - 15557751 - $30.00 - Junkyard
Upper cooler bracket - 15972505
Lower cooler bracket - 15972506
Cooler line clip - 15731998
P1100265.jpg

Oil filter comparison:
You can see the obvious size difference, both in length and diameter. Coke can was used for reference.
P1100279.jpg

P1100278.jpg

Stock filter setup:
Stock angled filter (obviously no driveline is in my way). The oil cooler lines run along the block, and up to the radiator cooler in most cases. While the radiator cooler is adequate, I of course wanted more.
P1100267.jpg

P1100266.jpg

Removal
Obviously you'll have to drain your oil. Once you get that out of the way, crack the lines on your ol radiator oil cooler lines, let them drain some more. Then unbolt the filter adapter, and the bracket holding the cooler lines to the frame, and pull it all out.

Install
Pull your grille off. Now, your core support will already have holes punched in it to mount the cooler.
P1100270.jpg

P1100269.jpg

Mount your cooler, and run the lines under the core support.
P1100271.jpg

P1100273.jpg

P1100275.jpg

P1100274.jpg

Now, install the cooler line fittings to the filter adapter and bolt it to the block with a new gasket and o-ring.
P1100276.jpg

Then you'll have to hook the lines up. They simply push into the fittings. They are somewhat of a PITA to get together, but they will go. With everything installed.
P1100284.jpg

P1100282.jpg

P1100281.jpg

Cooler behind the grille
P1100287.jpg

Now, with everything installed I ended up throwing 5 quarts in it, and once the motor filled the filter, cooler and lines ended up putting 7 quarts in. I think during a regular oil change, it will probably be closer to 6 quarts as the cooler and lines will not drain fully, unless you let it sit a LONG time.

Great job! the only problem I see is there is a can of diet coke and not BEER :D

I drank all the beer last night with Brandon (07HDclassic). I started the project early in the AM and there was no way to go get any since the truck was down for the count.

:lol: yeah, I like getting things done quickly. I have leaving projects open ended..... particularly if they are truck related.

Well, the weekend is over and I have no leaks. Thus far I have yet to notice any difference in cooling ability cause everything has been short trips.

Well, they are what my truck had stock and I never had any problems with them, the originals had over 180k on them. I haven't heard anyone really having problems with them...

good idea and good job my big block gmt400 has that same filter but im still on the sideways mount and i did not use the factory lines i went to a hydraulice shop got adapters for the cooler in the radiator and used hydraulic lines they are thicker heavier and the same price if not slightly cheaper

Back