• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

GMC C3500 Utility Truck from Fredericksburg, VA to Anchorage, Alaska

Bernie

Amateur Radio Operator - KJ4VOV
Reaction score
My wife got a job in Anchorage and we're moving up there by September. It's a paid Government move, but they'll only move one vehicle, and mine's too big for them. Got a single quote on uBid for about 3x what it would cost to drive it there so I'm looking to find something better. Bottom line though, I'll drive it if I have to.

Don't forget the people on Ubid need to make a living and pay site fees/commision. Let alone pay to get home and if they are lucky get some backhaul work/loads. So it's not exactly like they are making a killing on it.

I do understand that, absolutely, but I also understand that my truck wouldn't be the only thing they were hauling up there, or shouldn't be at least. And any good trucker or trucking company is going to do everything they can to avoid a deadhead, so they should have a load lined up to go back the other way. I have no problem at all with someone making a profit for honest work done, I just balk a little when it seems they want to do that all on me.

Check with the companies that specialize in heavy equipment moving. A friend of mine gets some pretty good deals on equipment moving

Deadheads with RV shipping and vehicle shipping are the norm. It's why RV shipping is NOT profitable. Maybe they could drive it up for you and fly or bus back home.

The dates never line up and Uship (a Krap site) just doesn't have folks respond and accept bids in a timely manner to make a loaded both ways trip.

Going across the border into Canada for RV shipping goes from $1.10-1.20 a mile to $1.50 a mile just for crossing the border, eh.

Yeah, the problem with anyone else driving across the border is the radios. I'd have to strip them all out and ship them separately because of how the licensing works. I can bring them into Canada because I have reciprocal license privileges there. If someone unlicensed drove the truck across with them installed and operational there would be problems, possibly fines, possibly Customs duties, etc. If the truck is shipped as cargo, with a bill of lading, then different rules apply.

Was your wife an after thought LOL. I'm 52 and dads 82 and still didn't serve in wwll.
No idea. Her mom was born in Fairbanks, her granddad was the mayor of Wasilla at one time, and both her natural dad and her step dad served in WWII, one as a yeoman on a Navy oiler, the other as a Sea Bee in the Pacific. I'm 60, and mine didn't quite make WWII (senior in HS when it ended) but made Korea.

More info on the FIL, he was a senior in HS when WWII started, but his dad made him promise to finish and graduate (first in the family since they came over from Italy to do so) and that's what he did. Went straight from graduation to the recruiting station, where they immediately made him a yeoman when they discovered he knew how to type.

Back