• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

GM Recall Clearance Letter

SIR VEYOR

Lurker & Sponge
Reaction score
Hi All,

Has anyone imported a truck into Canada and found a way to do it without shelling out $250 for the recall history?:rolleyes5:

This seems a little steep for a vehicle's history.

Thanks,
Sir Veyor

?? I never had to pay anything for the recall clearance letter... mind you, I imported a Freightliner-chassis Fleetwood motorhome, not a GM. Both Fleetwood and Freightliner were happy to send me clearance letters. For free.

A buddy of mine bought a 2008 Toyota SR5 4x4 the same year... Toyota sent him his letter for nothing, too.

Are you sure it's GM that is charging you, or is it a dealer fee?

Unfortunately, it is GM. Apparently you have to get the letter from:

http://www.vintagevehicleservices.com/imp-exp.html

which say:

Importing and Exporting GM Vehicles

Vintage Vehicle Services Inc. is the only entity authorized by General Motors to prepare this documentation on their behalf. The documentation is completed on General Motors letterhead.

Whether importing a vehicle from the U.S.A. or exporting a North American built GM vehicle to the U.S. or overseas, we can prepare the paperwork required to get you through the customs process.

Importing GM Vehicles into Canada

For GM vehicles being imported into Canada, we prepare the Recall Clearance Letter required by Transport Canada and the Registrar of Imported Vehicles (RIV). We electronically forward your information to the RIV on a daily basis to help expedite your importation process. In order for us to prepare the documentation please fill out the following Request for Recall Clearance Letter form and fax it to us at the number on the bottom of the form. This form may be filled out within Acrobat Reader. Once we receive the form your request will be processed within one business day.

I'm really hoping there's another way. $250 for to import a truck that is 30-70% Canadian parts anyways seems a little steep. Dodge is looking better and better all the time.:nonod:

Contact GM directly or go to a GM dealer... Vintage Vehicle Services is a document brokerage company - they may be authorized by GM to provide this documentation, but they aren't GM.

$250 is out of line, in my opinion.

Back