• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

GM Puts New Truck Diesel Engine Program on Indefinite Hold Status

RayMich

Reaction score
GM Newsletter
March 20, 2009

Tech Talk

GM Puts New Truck Diesel Engine Program on Indefinite Hold Status

Given the current economic climate, GM has reviewed and updated its U.S. product portfolio and has decided to place on indefinite hold its previously announced plan to add a Duramax 4.5L V-8 diesel engine in 2010 to its Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra light-duty trucks.

GM remains optimistic that the Duramax 4.5L V-8 diesel may be a viable option in its future portfolio.

Yeah, not happy when I saw this article. My Suburban is gettin old and I was hoping to trade it in on a new 4.5L truck. Guess I will have to wait even longer now....

It is ignorant plain and simple. I do not understand. I was reading truck and trend mag the other day and they were praising the 1500 silverado hybrid getting 18/21 city/ highway mpg, do these brain dead people not realize that they could get 25/30 mpg and less pollution from these new clean diesel engines. I hate to see hype and scar tactics they are using with global warming( oh I guess they are changing their tune now since it is obvious the earth is cooling, its now climate change) ruin what could significant advances in technology and MPG. Its not outside of the box thinking its under the box thinking.

It is ignorant plain and simple. I do not understand. I was reading truck and trend mag the other day and they were praising the 1500 silverado hybrid getting 18/21 city/ highway mpg, do these brain dead people not realize that they could get 25/30 mpg and less pollution from these new clean diesel engines. I hate to see hype and scar tactics they are using with global warming( oh I guess they are changing their tune now since it is obvious the earth is cooling, its now climate change) ruin what could significant advances in technology and MPG. Its not outside of the box thinking its under the box thinking.

And to add to that, I would rather own a diesel over a hybrid. But that is the problem, too many people over here are still anti diesel. The media up here are the worst ones for it, the media up here is still pro-Japanese here too.

You have to understand that the people making the decisions now don't know diddly squat about the design and manufacture of cars and trucks, or about science for that matter.

They are the same people that asked "Who wrote those Laws of Physics? -- We have access to the majority in Congress and we can get them repealed!"

I agree. Maybe I am a lone wolf here, but I really think that hybrids are not the way to go. I for one will never own one.

You have to understand that the people making the decisions now don't know diddly squat about the design and manufacture of cars and trucks, or about science for that matter.

They are the same people that asked "Who wrote those Laws of Physics? -- We have access to the majority in Congress and we can get them repealed!"

Hybrids are a joke. The only good hybrid ever made was a Diesel-Electric Locomotive. Don't get me wrong I love my Chevy's. I have owned a 55 chevy 4x4 apache, a S-10, a Blazer, and now the Burb in my sig. I think that GM is governed by an absolutely moronic board. Anyone's two year old here could make a better decision. It is discraceful that they are taking this company, that has ment so much to alot of Americans, straight into the ground.

It's funny that you never hear about the environmental impact of producing and disposing of the batteries used in these hybrids.

And how about the emissions from the coal powered power plants that must produce more electricity to charge the batteries on these cars when you plug them in.

It's funny that you never hear about the environmental impact of producing and disposing of the batteries used in these hybrids.

And how about the emissions from the coal powered power plants that must produce more electricity to charge the batteries on these cars when you plug them in.

It's called out-of-sight, out-of-mind ... and it isn't the government making the automakers back out of the diesel production, it's consumer research. The average consumer believes that diesels pollute more, because you can see it (black smoke). That's one of the reasons why I get cranky every time some wise-acre wants to know how to make more black smoke from his diesel... it is handing the eco-nuts the ammo they need.

It's called out-of-sight, out-of-mind ... and it isn't the government making the automakers back out of the diesel production, it's consumer research. The average consumer believes that diesels pollute more, because you can see it (black smoke). That's one of the reasons why I get cranky every time some wise-acre wants to know how to make more black smoke from his diesel... it is handing the eco-nuts the ammo they need.
I agree, Jim.

Every time someone decides to blow smoke at the guy behind them they are giving the enviro-wackos more ammunition to ban diesels. They think it's funny, but they won't think it's so funny when the EPA bans all older diesel vehicles. Mark my word, this is coming. :sad:

BTW, I recently spoke with a GM engineer and was told that this engine was killed because it could NOT meet the new emission and fuel economy requirements. These new Diesel emissions and economy standards are so low now that they are in conflict with each other. You get one or the other, but NOT both.

You guys that like to blow black smoke can thank yourselves, as well as the environmentalists and congress for killing this engine.

although i disagree with the guys making a smokey tune, i dont think that they are the cause of this engine disappearing. the govt and there restrictions are a direct correlation to the economy these trucks were getting. just look at the mileage ratings from the lb7 non emissions to the lmm ultra emissions control. it was hurting the global warming cause to have a truck with no emissions restrictions getting 22-24 mpg. they could not make a case against it that way. the gov mandated the trucks get cleaner and resulted in lower mileage numbers. now they have the ammo to go after then for cleaner and more efficient trucks. a few guys on you tube blowin smoke did not hurt the case as much as some think.

still wonder why american car companies are in the toilet???

It's called out-of-sight, out-of-mind ... and it isn't the government making the automakers back out of the diesel production, it's consumer research.....

That's pert near hitting the nail on the head. 'Consumerism' -or what ever the hell this new word is- IS really what GM's trying to say. 'Economic climate' my ass.

People want to know the price of everything, and care NOT for the real value in anything. You can quote me on that.

All they 'see' is that a diesel powered truck 'costs' more.

That's pert near hitting the nail on the head. 'Consumerism' -or what ever the hell this new word is- IS really what GM's trying to say. 'Economic climate' my ass.

People want to know the price of everything, and care NOT for the real value in anything. You can quote me on that.

All they 'see' is that a diesel powered truck 'costs' more.

People are fucжed, and the media is one of the reasons why. I would rather pay now, and save later, than to save now, and oay for a long time after.

Back