• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Gm NV4500

Big Ray

my two fat girls.
Reaction score
o.k., I have a gas nv4500 I'm thinking of throwing behind my diesel if I get it going. Will it work or will I need a diesel specific transmission?
Thanks in advance!

Did it come out of a Dodge or GM vehicle?

There are differences between the GM years and differences between the Dodge and GM transmissions, and different bellhouisng bolt patterns for GM trucks based on the years. 92-95 used an external slave and a clutch fork/ throw out bearing assembly, 96+ used an internal slave assembly. The bellhousing & trans bolt patterns are different for the two styles too; a 92-95 GM NV4500 won't bolt up to a 96+ bellhousing, and vice versa

The aforementioned harmonic/ vibration dampener may be more common on Dodge/ Cummins equipped trucks...can't say for sure. Probably won't matter either way. However regardless of the donor vehicle make sure the 5th gear nut is upgraded to a locking type and secured with threadlocker. Its been said that it was more common for Dodge/ Cummins trucks to lose 5th gear, but the original trans in my '95 lost 5th gear.

I think that for both the dampener and definitely for the 5th gear fix, both can be done by just removing the rear tailhousing of the transmission, no need to tear the whole thing down

I have a gas 1993 nv4500 from a Chevy truck. I was wondering if a dampener can be added or if it will work without one with a diesel.

Do you know if the dampener is on there already or not?

Give the folks at Torque King 4x4 or High Gear transmission a call, see what the experts say. I've called both places in the past with 4500 related questions, good and knowledgeable customer service in my opinion

I used a 98 nv4500 in my build. I ended up using the Advance Adapters bellhousing and tail shaft spacer (Im running a large input bearing np205) Im really happy with the kit. But I'm also using the factory Z bar for my 78. But they offer a hydraulic slave adapter for the bellhousing. AA makes everything to put any style NV4500 in place of any auto or manual trans offered in the square body.

Actually, I don't. I need to remove the rear adapter....? (4x4)

Yup remove the rear aluminum tailhousing to see what you have behind there. I haven't done much looking but it seems the dampener is close to $400 and may or may not be readily available. Some places are selling a simple spacer to use in its place for around $16. Either way with the trans out now is a good time to at the very least do the preventive 5th gear fix. I'm no transmission expert so I can't say one way or another whether the damper is required or not.

Also in case you didn't already come across it make sure to run the correct gear fluid in the NV4500

Back