• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

GM Duramax® Diesel Fuel Filter Spacer Kit

RayMich

Reaction score
GM Duramax® Diesel - Fuel Filter Spacer Kit

Many GM Duramax® Diesel owners have run into a clearance problem while attempting to replace the OEM Fuel Filter in their truck. This problem arises because the fuel filter is pressing hard against the engine valve cover and the injector electrical harness, making it very difficult to get a filter wrench around the filter to remove it.

attachment.php

Without Spacer

This problem can be solved by installing a 3/8 inch (0.375") spacer between the fuel filter head and the mounting bracket. The extra 0.375 inch will then allow adequate clearance to get a filter wrench around the filter.

attachment.php

With Spacer

This Fuel Filter Spacer kit can be obtained from Eric Merchant at Merchant Automotive in Holland, Michigan. - The kit contains (1) 3/8 inch (0.375") aluminum spacer and (2) longer Bolts to replace the existing attaching bolts.

attachment.php

Spacer Kit

attachment.php

Tools

Installing this spacer will take less than 10 minutes and all you need is (1) flat blade screwdriver to remove the air cleaner snorkel and (1) 12‑mm end‑wrench to remove the old bolts attaching the filter head and to install the new bolts.

• Remove the Air Cleaner Snorkel using the flat blade screwdriver.
  • Remove the existing attaching bolts using the 12‑mm end‑wrench
    (Make sure you support the Fuel‑Filter/Head assembly so it doesn't fall into the engine compartment while removing the bolts)
  • Install the new 0.375 inch Fuel Filter Spacer using the new longer bolts and tighten with the 12‑mm end wrench.
  • Reinstall the Air Cleaner Snorkel using the flat blade screwdriver.
That's it. You are done!

I want to thank Eric Merchant for his time and resources to develop this simple but very useful kit for our trucks. Thanks Eric!

Attachments

• Fuel Filter - Without Spacer(small).JPG
    Fuel Filter - Without Spacer(small).JPG
    61.6 KB · Views: 124
  • Fuel Filter - With Spacer(small).JPG
    Fuel Filter - With Spacer(small).JPG
    34.3 KB · Views: 120
  • 0.375 inch Filter Spacer Kit (2)(small).JPG
    0.375 inch Filter Spacer Kit (2)(small).JPG
    27.4 KB · Views: 121
  • Tools(b).jpg
    Tools(b).jpg
    18.5 KB · Views: 118
Last edited by a moderator:
how did you you see that link in there?

had you not mentioned there was one in there...I sure wouldn't have known...

Damn... I KNEW there was something else I wanted to get on my next order from Eric! But that was 2 weeks ago. Maybe next time...

Back