• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

GM detection of programmers

red02

Reaction score
We are told if we find a programmer on truck to start the process of voiding engine warranty!

#08-06-04-006B: Information on Identifying Non-GM Calibration Usages for LMM Duramax Diesel Engine - (Jun 27, 2008)

999999995.gif
Subject:Information on Identifying Non-GM Calibration Usages for LMM Duramax® Diesel Engine

Models:2005-2008 Chevrolet Express, Kodiak, Silverado
2005-2008 GMC Savana, Sierra, TopKick
with 6.6L Duramax® Diesel Engine (VINs D, 2 , 6 -- RPOs LBZ, LLY, LMM)

This bulletin is being revised to add additional model years, a Caution statement regarding likely Powertrain damage and information about documenting non-GM calibration information. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 08-06-04-006A (Section 06 -- Engine/Propulsion System).
Caution: Customers should be informed that even after the calibration has been returned to a GM certified configuration, it is likely that engine, transmission, transfer case and/or other driveline components were weakened to the point of premature failure, while subjected to the higher stresses from the non-GM calibration (Power-Up Kit). Engine, transmission, transfer case and/or other driveline components where a non-GM engine calibration has been verified are not covered under the terms of the New Vehicle Warranty.
Power-Up Kit Detection

For 2007-2008 applications, an Engine Control Module (ECM) algorithm was implemented that records the engine calibration part number and Calibration Verification Number (CVN) for the last 10 flash programming events. The ECM only records the engine calibration part number because it contains the parameters for increasing torque and fueling rates.
Some customers may have re-programmed the ECM with a non-GM released calibration. The (Power-Up Kit) powertrain calibration changes fueling and timing parameters and likely contributes to the following vehicle conditions:
• Poor Performance
• Black Smoke (This symptom is not valid for the 6.6L (LMM) diesel equipped with the diesel particulate filter (DPF). The DPF will trap black smoke unless the DPF is cracked, melted or has been removed from the exhaust system.)
• Knocking Noise
• Engine Damage​
If a vehicle comes in for service for a driveability/powertrain concern as a result of a Power-Up Kit installation, the dealership technician now can read the last 10 engine calibration part numbers and CVN history using a Tech 2 ®.
The dealership technician would input each ECM calibration part number into the SPS/TIS2WEB CVN database to confirm the CVN history information. Refer to Tech 2 path table in this bulletin to verify ECM calibration.
2007-2008 LMM Tech 2 Powertrain Output Controls Path Table for NON-GM ECM Calibration

1. <LI type=1>Build the vehicle with the Tech 2. <LI type=1>Select F0: Engine Control Module. <LI type=1>Select F5: Module Identification Information. <LI type=1>Select F1: Programming History. <LI type=1>Turn Ignition On and Engine Off. Press ENTER Key to Continue. Important: An original production engine operation part number programmed in the ECM from the supplier, which is the last part number shown, would not be in the SPS/TIS2WEB database.
    <LI type=1>Record the Calibration I.D. Numbers and Verification Numbers from the Tech 2 Programming History Screen.
  2. From SPS/TIS2WEB, record the Calibration Part Number into the CVN Database. Get CVN.
    If the CVN does not match the CVN database, an unauthorized engine calibration part was flash programmed into the ECM.
    If the CVN matches the CVN database, we can assume a Power-Up Kit that flash programs engine calibrations was not used.​
2005-2007 LLY and LBZ Instructions for Confirming Calibration Verification Number (CVN)

1. <LI type=1>Go to TIS2WEB <LI type=1>Select "Calibration Information (SPS Info)" <LI type=1>Enter VIN <LI type=1>Select "Get Cal ID" <LI type=1>Select "ECM Engine Control Module" <LI type=1>Select "Next" <LI type=1>Select "Complete History" <LI type=1>Print <LI type=1>Take the printout to the vehicle along with the Tech 2® <LI type=1>Plug in the Tech 2® <LI type=1>Go to diagnostics and build the vehicle <LI type=1>Select "Powertrain" <LI type=1>Select "Engine" <LI type=1>*Select "Engine Control Module" <LI type=1>*Select "Module ID Information" or "I/M Information System" if module ID information selection is not available. <LI type=1>*If "I/M information System" was selected in step 15, it may be necessary to select "Vehicle Information" in order to display the calibration information.
  2. Compare the calibration ID and Calibration Verification Numbers (CVN) to the Calibration Verification Numbers (CVN) on the printout.
* Steps may vary by controller.
Although the part numbers will be the same for each, it's the CVN that will determine if the calibration is GM issued. If ALL of the CVN's are EXACTLY the same, the calibration is GM issued.
If the part numbers match and ANY CVN's DO NOT match the printout, it is likely that a non-GM certified calibration has been installed.
If the CVN information is displayed as "N/A", it will be necessary to contact the TCSC to obtain the CVN information.
If a non-GM calibration is found to be in the ECM (CVN's on the Tech 2 do not match TIS printout) - In order to document the case -- a CLEAR digital picture should be taken of the Tech 2® screen showing the VIN and the CVN's that do not match the TIS2WEB printout. The picture, VIN and reason the vehicle is currently in for service should be emailed to [email protected] for verification. Please copy your GM District Service Manager (DVM) on the e-mail. GM will verify if the CVN's are not GM issued and respond via e-mail within 72 hours.
GM bulletins are intended for use by professional technicians, NOT a "do-it-yourselfer". They are written to inform these technicians of conditions that may occur on some vehicles, or to provide information that could assist in the proper service of a vehicle. Properly trained technicians have the equipment, tools, safety instructions, and know-how to do a job properly and safely. If a condition is described, DO NOT assume that the bulletin applies to your vehicle, or that your vehicle will have that condition. See your GM dealer for information on whether your vehicle may benefit from the information.

999999994.gif
WE SUPPORT VOLUNTARY TECHNICIAN CERTIFICATION

Moved to "Useful Information"..

GM is going to find out one way or another....:noidea:

you would figure they would work with the aftermarket and make products better, but they don't want to change, and that is the reason they are failing miserably.

Don't worry, Everyone's "Secret" is safe with me.:D
They'll never get me to tell.:fencing:
I'm not gonna hold something against someone for doing to their truck, what i've already done to mine.:D

I was just going to touch on that ..... it said 10 times.....all you need to do is put it back to stock and cycle the engine 10 times.... how hard can that be.....but here is the question...if you go in for say an oil change, are they going to start scanning and looking for the programmers then? Also, if you are using a program like HP tuners and you reset it to stock, it literally clears all memory in the computer so how can anything be detected? It is literally a blank slate when it comes back....a dead battery will do the same thing....ya know?

I was just going to touch on that ..... it said 10 times.....all you need to do is put it back to stock and cycle the engine 10 times.... how hard can that be.....but here is the question...if you go in for say an oil change, are they going to start scanning and looking for the programmers then? Also, if you are using a program like HP tuners and you reset it to stock, it literally clears all memory in the computer so how can anything be detected? It is literally a blank slate when it comes back....a dead battery will do the same thing....ya know?

thats what i thought and thats what PPE told me when i bought my tuner

Back