• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Gibson Exhaust ??

saturntech95

Reaction score
So I think I finally found the exhaust I want to run on my truck, Im looking at the Gibson 65217. I really like the dual tip and the fact that it is stainless. Now it says it comes with a 4" downpipe but then it also says you have to re-use the cat. So now I am confused cause there is no flange on the front of the cat to hook the downpipe to so I have no clue how they work it. I am just curious if anyone else has uswd one of their exhausts or seen it on a truck cause I wont be running a cat but if its gonna be a big deal to make a pipe to delete it (like if it needs a bend or somthing) than Ill just be happy with somthing else cause I dont want the exhaust to be hacked together at all. Thanks for any input.

The info from Gibson is contradictory. It says that it is a turbo back system, but that it bolts to the converter which usually means it's just a cat back system since the front pipe and cat are all one piece. I've also read where the tubing used for that system is 3.5 which is the same size as stock. Their prices are also high for a 409ss system IMO. I paid less than that for my 4" 304 stainless (the good stainless) MBRP cat back system. No one makes a 304ss cat delete pipe as far as I'm aware... they're either 409ss or galvanized.

I'd contact Gibson's tech support directly and ask them the questions you have.

FYI- Gibson doesn't show the Dual Sport as being available for your 06.
http://www.gibsonperformance.com/diesel/diesellink.pdf

Here are the installation instructions for that system on an 01-05 which may better show you what you're up against
http://www.jegs.com/InstallationInstructions/400/462/462-65217.pdf

This is just my opinion, but there are better options available that don't require cutting and welding.

I'm also going to move this thread to Intake and Exhaust since it's about...well... exhaust. :)

If its 409 I would not pay a premium for it, go with an aluminized system. I have Diamond Eye systems for $299 shipped in USA on my site.
I think a 304 or 316 SS would be nice though, but I imagine in 4" it will be spendy.

I'm not crazy about it cause it is stainless, altho it is a plus, I just really like the dual setup. I know it sounds stupid but I'm buying for the looks. If I was buying for performanc I would just buy a aluminized MBRP 5" kit. I am gonna call them today to see what they say about fitment. I mean I have a full shop and can fab about anything but I don't have a 4" tubing bender and neither do any local shops so if it is more than just a straight peice of pipe than I will have to rethink my plans.

Back