• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Gear Vendors install, 93 3500.......

deejaaa

Diesel Beginner
Reaction score
here is the install, all in one post. took it from another site so i was able to condense it down. hopefully it will make sense like this.
_____________Gear Vendors install, 93 4L80....started 01-18-2011
took about 4 months to get all the parts and have time from start to finish but it was worth it all. the thing is like it was meant to be there.
on 1-18 11, went to Austin and got the 4L80 adapter, crossmember, electronics, coupler and
broken od unit.
c72437a0.jpg

in Dec last year i bought a rebuilt unit from las vegas.
41a30ccf.jpg

i will put these together, shorten the driveshaft and will hopefully bump mpg up and rpm down a few notches.
i was turning 2500 rpm at 70 with 4.10's, 33.6" tall tires. looking to get 1800-2000 rpm
at the same speed with the gv unit.
----------------removed adapter from bad unit, install on rebuilt unit, swap adapter and yoke.
electronics,
0bc548c1-1.gif

ready,
777de6f7.jpg

----------------got 2 qts of syn fluid from the stealership, 25.00 ea. connected the vssb wiring.
on 93 there is only one vssb so gv supplies another one to make the speedo and
anti-locks work. next is remove tail shaft and install of the gv unit.
----------found some really good instructions on the net in a ford site. here it is:
http://www.fordmuscleforums.com/tran...riveshaft.html Make sure the yokes are aligned before welding.
__________________here's my little helper holding up the rear shaft.
DSC05072.jpg

GV unit installed,
DSC05070.jpg

opened up,
DSC05073.jpg

DSC05077.jpg

13" removed,
DSC05079.jpg

welded back together,
DSC05081.jpg

painted,
DSC05082.jpg

back on,
DSC05084.jpg

here's a wiring diagram from GV and a trans diagram,
gv.jpg

DB21993DieselTCMWiring.jpg

had it wired up at first for manual mode only, the diagram from GV didn't have all of what i
needed to hook it up for automatic mode. they've been real helpful so far.
took about a qt and a half of oil.
these work with a four wheel drive with the correct adapter/coupler. these are available from
gearvendors also. looking on CL, there are several od units for sale, from 600.00 to 2500.00.
search 'overdrive unit' and a lot will pop up. i use searchtempest.com for more results.
that's where i found mine from Las Vegas and Austin.
__________________on 04-21-2011 i took it to work, engaged GV at about 60, got up to 70 and rpm was
2000. that would be 2700 normally. speedo is off, according to gps. got up to 80, rpm was 2200.
i would be hitting 2400 at 63 mph normally. had it hooked to a toggle at first but it is wired
correct now, pretty much.
i needed this years ago and am glad it finally happened.
-----------heres a vid. not the best but all i got.
http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n...a/2a9f1cf9.mp4
at the beginning before i turn it on it shows i am going 61 but i am really going 65, when i
turn it on and showing i am going 50 i am really going 70. keep an eye on the tach, that is
reading accurate. speeds are according to the gps. hopefully i can figure that out.
------------04-28-2011,i am going on my 5th day on the same tank. i would get 3 1/2 days before, driving
63. now, going 65-70 pushing 1800-2000 rpm. i think i can get at least 600 miles from a tank,
about 30-32 gallons, figures out to about 19-20 mpg. i will be happy w/ that.
-------------after a month of driving, it a pleasure to keep up w/ traffic and have rpm's lower than when i
was a snail. it has increased my tank per week by a day and a half. it is seamless when it
shifts, disengages at around 25 mph so i never have to worry about backing up w/ it engaged.
haven't tried splitting gears because i haven't towed anything yet. had a ton of soil and
speed was a little slow but my timing is a little off. plan of setting that right when i put
on the new turbo.
still have the speedo off by 20 mph at 70, shows i am going 50. at 70, rpm's are 2000. i have
8R19.5 tires, 33.6" tall.

Last edited:
I would really like to get one of these for my truck.

Thanks for sharing! :thumbsup:

Nice set up, that is my next project. Hopefully sometime this year if I can swing it.

x2. It needs to be balanced and should be done on a Lathe.
no i didn't and there is only the slightest vib which i really wouldn't call it one. as long as the yokes are put back the same way they were removed and the weights were left alone, there won't be any vibrations. this is the 2nd shaft i have done this to, once so long ago i forgot how to do it, and haven't had a problem, so far. it rides great and i will keep it this way. if i get some more time, i will re-weld it because i did put it back together a couple of degrees out of sync.

over time an out of balance shaft could ruin your pinion bearing or your output shaft bearing even if the vib "is only slight". JMHO. I do like the setup though That looks like a cure for my CUCV. I'm kinda turned off to NV4500s right now after seeing how troublesome the one in my 93 is. I don't want a 4l80e cause I hate electronics. So what is the final ratio when this unit is in OD ?

over time an out of balance shaft could ruin your pinion bearing or your output shaft bearing even if the vib "is only slight". JMHO. I do like the setup though That looks like a cure for my CUCV. I'm kinda turned off to NV4500s right now after seeing how troublesome the one in my 93 is. I don't want a 4l80e cause I hate electronics. So what is the final ratio when this unit is in OD ?
i think i will get it balanced the more i think about it.
this was pulled from the GV site.

------------------------------------4.10----3.73
--------Trans Ratio-----------Final Drive Ratio
1st---------2.48------------------10.17----9.25
Over-------1.93-------------------7.93-----7.22
2nd--------1.48-------------------6.07----5.52
Over-------1.15-------------------4.73----4.31
3rd---------1.00-------------------4.10-----3.73
Over--------0.78-------------------3.20----2.91
4th-O/D-----0.75------------------3.08-----2.80
Double OD-0.59------------------2.40-----2.18
remember, GV is not the only option for an OD unit. as far as i know, they are the only one that is popular that is still in business or hasn't been bought out by GV. laycock, fairey, doug nash, volvo p1800, maybe more. parts for these are harder to find though.

Last edited:
it's best to cut them in a lathe if the ends are a little out of square balancing won't help. if cut in a lathe and then welded while held in a lathe you don't need to balance unless it's a poor weld. your welds look pretty good

They should always be balanced. One of my friends owns Suffolk Driveshaft/The Driveshaft shop in NY. I have seen it done first hand.

............ I'm kinda turned off to NV4500s right now after seeing how troublesome the one in my 93 is............ ?
what are the probs w/ your nv4500? i thought they were bulletproof. could you swap it to the newer one to make it good? i've always lusted after the manual 5 speed. it would be nice to remove the low gear and put in a double OD in one of those.

I helped my neigbor put one in his back in 1994. It was a real good unit. Was great for towing as you can split the gears and stay in the power band.

what are the probs w/ your nv4500? i thought they were bulletproof. could you swap it to the newer one to make it good? i've always lusted after the manual 5 speed. it would be nice to remove the low gear and put in a double OD in one of those.

The synchros appear to be an issue with them. I know mine are shot. Pricey rebuild. Contemplating doing it myself. Parts are not too bad as long as you don't need hard parts.

driving 63, i could pull in 17 mpg. now i figure it is around 20, if i figured the math right. remember, speedo is off, 17-20 mph, depending on speed so i have to add to miles driven using a %. it's hard to drive the same speed every day. limit is 65 and DPS likes to hang out a lot, this is a major drug route from the valley. some days i go 65 and some 70. i will try to go 65 the next fill up for the week so i can get a more accurate reading.

The synchros appear to be an issue with them. I know mine are shot.

Sorry to hijack, but I wanted to share a little info. Ace, you may already be aware, but running 80w/90 in an NV4500 will smoke the syncro's right quick! I'm not saying you did, just a warning to anyone who owns one. A guy locally doesn't learn too well and has replaced several 4500's and 5600's($$$!) in Dodge pickups he owns because of this.... You should use the specific oil from GM or Dodge, as Castrol(the oil's maker) doesn't sell SynTorq with their name on it any more. If you can't get the right stuff, Mobil 1 15w/40 is acceptable.

If you want to do it yourself, I'd say go-for-it. I've done it, and it's not that hard if you've got a couple special tools. Check out quad4x4 if you haven't already. They've got what you need.

are the syncro's a problem in both generations? what are the costs for them?

Back