• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Garage doors, openers, ETC

MrMarty51

Reaction score
The garage door on My shed is an 18 footer by 8 foot tall. Had to get the extension kit for the Chamberlain 1/2 horse opener.
A few weeks ago the chain/cable combo broke at the eye, so I attempted a repair. Cutoff wheel and sliced the crimp sleeve and knocked it off the cable, then cut the cable to eliminate the fray ends.
Looped the cable then Installed two cable clamps. Cable came up too short so hooked two tire chain stretcher hooks onto the cable and now its just right. If the hooks will hold I know knott. I did order a new chain/cable for it and am hoping its the right one.
One thing I dont like about the opener setup is the stifener bar between the door and the motor. It hangs a couple inches from the ceiling and whenever the door is opened/closed, that bar bounces like crazy.
I’m wondering, if it would cause any harm to any of the components if I was to make up some brackets and mount them to that stifener bar and screw it to the ceiling to stop it from bouncing like that ?
Yes, no, hints or suggestions greatly appreciated. 🤷‍♂️😹😹😹

I have the same size door and the same opener. My bar jumps a little, but not terrible.

Are the springs for the door set correctly? The door should have a neutral weight if you lift it by hand. It should stay where you put it and not fall.

If the door wheels aren’t rolling smooth, that will create a lot of drag.

Did you try disconnecting the opened and operating the door by hand?
A 12 year old who identifies as a female, other, or unicorn should be able to open and close the door without assistance. Well, other than counciling for the trauma of you having requested them/ they/ it to have exerted energy.

I can't see anything wrong with supporting that bar, if anything the chain will run more true.

It's the shock absorber for the system. Motors start faster than that door is going to move so something has to give a little.

I went with a jack screw garage door opener that also has a electric sliding bolt. Harder to use a coat hanger to get in via the emergency door release handle. Regardless I no longer have the "action show" on the ceiling from an opener. It's also out of the way for tall pickups.

Back