• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Fuel mileage

96 6.5 turbo crusty

86 6.5 crusty
Reaction score
How many miles are most of you getting on a stock 6.5 turbo diesel between fuel ups I seem to be only getting around 200-250 miles no hauling just daily drive to and from work. My work is only a 30 minute drive to and from

Must be nice...I get around 11 to gallon with a 97' 3500 crew cab dually. She's got a quarter million on her but still..the milage sucks

Must be nice...I get around 11 to gallon with a 97' 3500 crew cab dually. She's got a quarter million on her but still..the milage sucks
Something is going on there. My hummer how I have it set up and loaded is around 10,000lbs. 12.5” wide offroad big lug tires so a lot of drag there. I extended my roof height a few inches higher than the vertical windshield and then a roof rack using 2” pipe. So my wind resistance is huge. I actually ran most of a tank never going over 45mph and 50/50 hiway city driving, once.

My normal foot to the floor from every stoplight got me 10.5 mph, and when I drove at 80% throttle up to speed I would get 12.5mph. I had my fuel screw turned high and got a puff of smoke each time so I turned it down a hair and got to 13.25mph and I don’t get left behind when the light turns green. The one time mentioned above that I kept wind resistance and cruising rpm down by max at 45 mph resulting in 14.1mpg.
I later discovered the one piston top was hammered from the glowplug failure so that was costing some efficiency.

5.2516 final gear ratio on 37” tall tires -so on of the people that enjoy math more than me has to translate that.

But I really think if you are doing worse than hummer/hmmwv does, something is not right.

Being a K1500, I'm a little lighter, my gearing is 3:73 with a smaller rubber contact patch. On the other end, I've got HO injectors and a bad IP which means I could be doing a little better. With this motor set up I have a big case of happy foot that doesn't help either.

I have made many trips of 900miles one way to the same place every year, always filled up at the same place every trip, winter or summer...

Always got 17mpg until the last trip back home last fall..

I traded some coating work for a near new manual IP timing tool. I always suspected the timing was retarded..

I played with it for several hours and got it to where the motor sounded right..

A few days later drove home, during the trip I kept watching the fuel gauge, thinking it must have gone bad.. turns out it hadn't, I now average 22+ mpg in the 93 dually...

I have made many trips of 900miles one way to the same place every year, always filled up at the same place every trip, winter or summer...

Always got 17mpg until the last trip back home last fall..

I traded some coating work for a near new manual IP timing tool. I always suspected the timing was retarded..

I played with it for several hours and got it to where the motor sounded right..

A few days later drove home, during the trip I kept watching the fuel gauge, thinking it must have gone bad.. turns out it hadn't, I now average 22+ mpg in the 93 dually...

Since I'm rebuilding my 95 dually should I consider going with a DS2 and scrap the pcm all together? That kind of fuel economy is crazy in in dually.

Back