• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Fuel line Schematic

RI Chevy Silveradoman

At your service
Staff member
Lead Moderator
Reaction score
I noticed that some of my fuel lines are a starting to leak a bit.
I am looking for a schematic for the fuel lines specifically near the tank and fuel cooler. I plan on replacing them with rubber for now. I also plan on removing snd and bypassing fuel cooler. Is is leaking from somewhere near the fuel cooler.
2006 Duramax crew cab.
Has anyone else had this happen yet?
It is from all the road salts used in winter here in Northeast.

I wouldn't bypass the cooler. There's a good chance your leaks are the quick connect fittings. GM used steel fittings iirc, and they fail over time. You can unscrew the fittings from the cooler, and screw some 1/4" npt 3/8" hose barb fittings in, then cut the quick connects off the line, and hook them up to the hose barb fittings.

Every time I touch the fuel cooler, it just flakes and falls apart. I think it has been shown that the fuel coolers don't really work on these trucks. A while back someone put a motorcycle fan on the fuel cooler to see if it would cool the fuel more, and there was no change in fuel temps.
I am trying to get the fuel below a quarter tank just in case I have to drop the tank.
RUST has been the worst issue I have with my truck so far. ☹

No, several have added a 2nd fuel cooler to help with the p0087 code as the fuel cooler does help tremendously if you drive it very much under load. If it's the same as my cooler, it's just pai,t flaking off as the cooler is all aluminum.

Just to update this a little for any future reference. I think Ferman is right on the money, I have been dragging my feet, but I gotta get at it.
Durmax Fuel Line Front Schematic.jpgDurmax Fuel Line REAR Schematic.jpg

I got a decent look at what I am up against today. I am just going to replace both lines with rubber from front to back and rip out the corroded metal fuel lines.
How much pressure is in the fuel feed line? And the fuel return line?

No pressure in the 1/2" supply line, it actually runs under vacuum. The 3/8" return line shouldn't run under much pressure unless your injectors are bad, then it can see some pressure. Make sure the fuel line you use is diesel rated and good for running under vacuum. I like marine rated fuel lines because they have extra thick construction so they won't easily kink or collapse under vacuum.

@THEFERMANATOR
Is there a sae # on the hose you use? That is the easiest way folks can always get the right hose no matter where they buy.

Does it actually pull into vacuum btw? If so how far? Going way into it like 10” can rip the methonal out of the base and and boil it off into vapor.

Back