• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Fuel leak!

mangus580

Reaction score
These are always fun!

walking by the 'Burb last night, I smelled diesel... then I couldnt place it. (wind musta blown some).. and I forgot.

this morning, the whole way to work with it, I keep getting wiff's of raw fuel.

Get out at work.. its dripping from the engine. Its running down the front drivers side from the valley area. Now the Dealer put a new IP in it less than 2 weeks ago... I presume something worked loose.

Any ideas where I might want to look? I cant see anything obvious, so I presume tonight I will be pulling the intake off :nonod: I tried to get the dealer to do it, but they cant get it in until monday... not to mention the 25 mile drive!

I'd call the dealer and tell them that with leaking fuel it is unsafe to drive and that they should be towing it in. And since they can't get to it until Monday, that they have to give you a loaner since it was their fault. They probably won't do anything for you, but it will be fun to mess with the guy on the phone.

I'll bet they reused old lines from IP to filter mgr and it cracked when stretching onto IP inlet or the return hose is bad externally braid looks okay but is weeping from under the cloth overbraid,

Get some new return hose it has probaly been a while since you last replaced them, underhood heat hardens the rubber, and if distubred at all they tend to crack, but you can't see the cracks as the braid hides it, but you can feel the weepage.

Last edited:
if it is the return side of IP/injectors, then it would only happen when running, but any accumulation in "valley" would continue to drip after truck is shut off

Which is about what I thought.

I was going to turn the key on, and watch for the leak... see what I get. It made a mess here in the parking lot at work.

I told the dealer I will attempt to locate it myself in the intrest of time. Using loaner cars is a PITA when you have kids in car seats :-( so I am hoping I can do something quick & easy.

Also, make sure that the fuel filter is seated properly and all the clamps.

Been there done that on a previous filter change!

well, out I go... got new gaskets, and some hose. Stealer told me that if it was the hose leaking, they would NOT cover it, since they did not replace the hose...

Nice guys... lets not change the $5 hose while we are in there... so the customer has to bring it back and spend more $$!

@#$%@$%@$#

guess what

it aint a line....

fuel is pouring STEADY stream out the bottom of the IP!!

I cant tell you how PISSED I am right now.

Well, the good news is the Dealer WILL have to cover that one... and get yourself a loaner vehicle, and get them to do new lines while it's apart... and...

Go get 'em. Why is it that all these horror stories start with "well, I took my truck to the dealer and..."?

the thing that pisses me off the most... is now i have to put it back together AND have it towed to the dealer!

This is where having the AAA gold is awesome for $120 a year, My wife and I both get 4 tows for 100miles.... I wish I LIved closer to you.

Last edited:
If it is somethint that the dealer obviously screwed up on, whether it be poor workmanship, or a defective part, then they should cover the towing. It might be a fight, but you drove it in, and their work is what prevents you from driving it back there.

Hmmm this isnt going to end well for them

He says that I am responsible for towing it in... wont give me a loaner, and says if they can tell it was taken apart, they wont cover it?????

It aint gonna be pretty lemme tell ya.

I knew it from what you were telling me last nite on phone it wasn't gonna be pretty, go to owner of dealership, they more or less told you to troubleshoot it yourself now are backing out on the basis of your findings, if you get no satisfaction from owner get on phone call TV station get the live on your side crew a story, emphasize how tough it is in days of high fuel prices to sell a Diesel fueled vehicle or any vehicle,

Let dealer owner know you are ready to go full court press to tell the world how inept the service dept, (guys that are supposed to keep new cars/trucks running) is, if they can't handle a simple fuel leak on a "low tech engine" as the 6.5 is, how then does that exude any confidence that they will do any better with advanced EFI systems

Mite wanna show the owner a link to DTR, Page and Place with combined membership of knowledgeable Diesel guys 70K strong that will be reading this story, some of those 70K members are potential customers, or know potential customers, can he afford that kind of bad press as well.

Don't be emotionional, (it will be tough I know) just present the facts, if he still rejects them, then let him know you intend to sue for repairs at other shop, towing, time lost, unapproved PMD relocation they billed for without advance approval, and you want a new driver, yours being unmounted on sheet metal without a heat sink has now been heat stressed and is a at risk to quit at any time now driver. If it was mine I wouldn't drive around the block with it, much less let my wife take the family to town in it.

Also let them know their shop is being reported to NTSB for failing to resolve a unsafe fire/safety hazzard, along with a report to better biz bureau

Last edited:
Working my top down... I have connections from inside who are providing me with Regional Managers ;-)

Gonna be a long day...

Next time you talk to them tell them you have already communicated with your lawyer about this matter.

Posted this before I seen Turbine Doc's long informative post on what to do...

Last edited:
Back