• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

front axle flange has play - normal?

Odlaw

Redneck
Reaction score
Was under my 07 yesterday changing the oil and took to opportunity to check the front axle seals that I had replaced under warranty 3k miles ago...and it was the second time they were replaced in a few months. Upon inspection, I noticed that I could move the flange slightly(where it comes out of the axle housing)...both sides, driver side slightly more - I could actually see it moving. I wouldn't think so, but is this normal for these chevy front ends? Just checking before I take it back to the dealer and have them look at it.

Thanks
Smitty

Smitty, If you're talking about end to end play (thrust) than I don't think you should see any noticable amount. Those front hubs aren't serviceable so they should have given you all new hubs... Not seals.

Smitty, If you're talking about end to end play (thrust) than I don't think you should see any noticable amount. Those front hubs aren't serviceable so they should have given you all new hubs... Not seals.
Sorry Mike, I should have clarified; the seals where the axle(not the CV axle, the axle that comes out of the housing next to the differential and bolts to the flange of the cv axle), if I push up from the bottom on the truck with my hand on that flange, the flange and axle move up and down slightly....like there is a bad bearing or bushing in the axle housing/tube. The more I think about it it should not have any play, I just can't imagine why it would other than worn parts...which is starting to aggravate me that it has been worked on twice under warranting in the last 6 months and they didn't catch it...now my warranty is out.

Just got off the phone with the service manager, said he agreed that the axles should not be moving and they should have caught it while it was in getting the seals a couple of months ago...and that the work would still be covered under warranty.
So, to the dealer she goes first thing in the morning.

Just when you start to get a tiny bit of confidence in a dealer....they do something that makes you question that confidence. Basically, the "GM Gold Hammer Certified" technician was out sick so (it appeared to me) the oil change tech looked at my truck. The service manager told me that the up and down play at the axle flange (right where it comes out of the axle tube) is normal. I haven't had time to crawl under my other two trucks to confirm this but my hunch is that axle should not move at all. They "brake cleaned" the flange and told me to come back in two weeks to see if it is still leaking. I'll address my findings on my other trucks and if they still tell me it's normal I'll have them do it in writing.

Back