• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Firewall insulation

I have seen the bubble reflective stuff used, but is there something else someone recommends for the sound deadening insulation on the engine side of the firewall in the engine bay? The factory stuff has deteriorated to create a mess, so it's going away, but I'll need something in its place.
I've seen this topic covered somewhere before.

Hard to tell how long ago or where.

yeah, I searched quite a while before posting because it seems to me that it was, indeed, mentioned and some examples had been given. I've only assumed the OEM part is no longer available, but will plan to check this week. That newer design of insulation ended up on my inner fenders from the body shop that did the repair work after I hit a deer many moons ago.

This info will be useful, mine is all gone too on the engine side, seemed to have some kind of fiberglass with a hard plastic covering it which has all broken up and deteriorated away. not too sure on the peel and stick stuff inside the engine bay area due to the heat making the glue loosen up.

I had it in mind to do sometime on mine where the firewall and trans tunnel could be painted with something like a thick spray in bed liner stuff and then the peel and stick stuff be applied to the inside under and behind the dash. at some point I want to use that stuff throughout the inside of the cab on mine.

This info will be useful, mine is all gone too on the engine side, seemed to have some kind of fiberglass with a hard plastic covering it which has all broken up and deteriorated away. not too sure on the peel and stick stuff inside the engine bay area due to the heat making the glue loosen up.

I had it in mind to do sometime on mine where the firewall and trans tunnel could be painted with something like a thick spray in bed liner stuff and then the peel and stick stuff be applied to the inside under and behind the dash. at some point I want to use that stuff throughout the inside of the cab on mine.
A LOT of that bedliner stuff is highly flammable.- do some searches

I called the company who makes the product N8inator uses (very friendly folks and right here in Ohio!) and their recommended removal procedure for the self-stick stuff is denatured alcohol and possibly a rubber wheel. They did suggest mechanical fasteners for easy removal. I guess my question is has anyone used this stuff without the adhesive? If so, were there enough studs to keep it in one place on the firewall? Any photos?

As with other things, I'm looking at long term replacement - if the adhesive fails in 20-30 years, I want to be able to fix it.

I'm sure if the stick on stuff started to peal or deteriorate where you would have to remove, it would create a huge mess after the engine is in the rig. I would say to just paint up the firewall with some high temp paint and use the insulation sound deadening material on the inside of the firewall. maybe pull the dash out and use a double layer up in that area. Will mentioned about the flammability after I thought about bed liner, I thing anything containing rubber and adhesive would be flammable.

Back