• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Finally replacing my IP

Pruittx2

Been around a bit
Reaction score
it's been 2 summers now, that I've had to "Give the Burb a drink when it's hot out, so she'll start"

I got a used one with very low miles a few months back when it was cold. truck seems to run fine with current IP, just with heat soak it get's hard to start, and won't at times unless you do the trick.

Surgery.JPG

So you got to have LOT'S of light. I did find prescribed area's on the engine and IP,

I have the old one out,, the new one bolted up to engine, Now I have to parts run for a coolant temp sensor, that crumbled apart when i unpluged it. and new fuel lines to put under the manifold for FFS to IP. Since I unbolted the coolant covers on the back side of the heads on dr side. So I'll get 4 new cross over gaskets and get this fixed up before going further.

15mm gear wrench is an awesome tool,,, just sayin. 12 point 15mm nut's on IP. With shroud and fan off,, I didn't really have a big issue getting the 3 bolt's off front of IP, I did have a magnet handy. Here's to hoping for a smooth install and a quick start up. It was running great when i pulled it in the shop.

20190708_220608.jpg

Need to do this on my son's, but I'm also replacing timing chain and gears. Is there a spot on the gears I need to align before I remove them?

It's alive and running,,,,, BUT!!!

101_1307.jpg

See The fitting with the O-ring? That goes in the top of the IP. then the angled fitting goes on top, and The new 3/8 fuel line goes to it.

As I was purging system with air, via jumping the fuel relay under hood. I opened the fuel filter first,,, then the drain valve,, then I thought I should open that curved tube at the ip to get air out, and make sure I had fuel. SNAP, Broke that darn fitting!!!!

Does anyone know what size to call that thing? or where to get one?

Sadly I put the stock piece in, and hooked up fuel line to it,, to get it running.

More sad is the test drive was all good, till I drove it up to temp then parked it for an hr. Heat index is 90 now,, and it acted just like the old IP I took out. No start, just cranking, till I got out,, poured bottle of water on IP, then it started. :shifty:😫

Finally got the Scan tool hooked up. I tried several times to get the TDC offset learn process to work, to no avail. I had 1 code but cleared that, and confirmed no codes. Tried it 3 times before this screen shot, then once after.

Nada.

Any ideas?
20190716_135141[1].jpg

would this current timing,, be far enough out of range that it can't do a re-learn and I need to retard the IP to get closer to the optimal window?

Also watched my cranking rpm it was barely over 100.

yeah,, now worried about that starter,, it's only a 4 yr old Napa New unit,, but still starts with water on IP.

I tried the acc pedal to the floor for 45seconds+, with key on,,, then minute with key off, the restart. Timing in scan tool, never changes. Truck does nothing to indicate that a relearn was achieved.

Did you do the time set procedure first? You need to do that and set the timing to 3.5* before you do the TDCO relearn. Gm says you don't have to do the TDCO relearn if only the pump was replaced. Many people disagree and say you should learn it.

look above. The timing marks are almost perfectly lined back up. 200k on engine, so I'm sure it's off some from Tchain. I have GMTD basic,, It shows what I have now. or what the ECM is thinking anyway.

That don't mean its timed correctly. You MUST use a scan tool to time a DS4. You activate Time Set with the scanner. Desired timing goes to 0 and then you adjust the pump till actual timing is 3.5*. After that you do the TDCO relearn. If your not doing that then your timing is definitely off.

It's running better than on the old pump,, but it also sounds like I need to pony up for the Pro version of GMTD software to do that.

$106.77 is the price today.

That cranking rpm IS definitely your hot start issue!

Fixed it for you... I think @ak diesel driver posted the repair manual somewhere on here. :D

The book spec is around here somewhere... 150 edit: 180 RPM when hot as I recall.

EDIT found it... It's 180 hot.

Does it sound like this video below when cranking? Dragging or going slower is a problem. This is a cold start while priming the DB2 injection system hitting funny on some but not all, however, the "by ear" cranking RPM is my point. Not enough RPM means you don't have enough heat to light the injected diesel off let alone a good spray from the injectors. RPM affects the IP as well esp. with thin hot fuel leaking internally faster than cold fuel.

Battries, cables positive AND grounds, and the starter are all cheaper to "SHOTGUN" vs. a new/reman IP. A Powermaster starter that cranks faster due to permanent magnets is a well known good starter upgrade. You have to unhook one battery when you test them to make sure both batteries are good. Again you can tell by ear when one battery quits due to slower cranking RPM. Well I can as I went through a set about 1x a year. Just saying troubleshoot the cranking RPM 1st.

Last edited:
Yeah,,, I followed along with AK on his thread,,, and I do believe a new Powermaster is next. You never think starter, when you pour half a bottle of water on the IP, and it then fires up.

It'll have to wait for a bit thou,, School bus drivers don't make any money in the summer, and the wife is traveling for 4 weeks with her car in a few days, so I've got no back up ride till she's back,, and I'll be almost back to school by then. Of course it'll be colder then,,, and I won't have the issues.

Life. It comes at ya fast!

Back