• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Finally Plugged In!

Pillow

Recruit
Reaction score
Well it is officially cold!

Time to start plugging them in at night!

I got the extension cord out yesterday and plugged in the Burb last night. Good thing since the weather got down into the twentys last night. Started like a champ and warmed up quickly :) Not even a puff of smoke.

Happy winter people!

I plug in after it doesn't start during the first crank. That usually happens near 0F and its been off for 8 to 10 hours.

Usually it only needs 10 to 15 minutes of cord time to get it warm enough to start. With the dual heaters, it should be ready to go in under 10.

I wouldent even consider plugging in till 0F unless your 6.5 is completely worn out there should be no need, and if you insist on plugging then put it on a timer 2 hours tops is all you need

Shoot, we just got cold enough here in Florida I finally saw my glow plug light stay on long enough to have to actually wait to start it.

Oops, I let mine cook all night. Is this a bad thing?

Anything under 40F and I like to plug it in. Although it hasn't ever failed to start due to cold when not plugged in.

Perhaps getting an outlet timer would be worthwhile!

Dipped to 19F here, left the two block heaters simmer all night, really didn't have too. It was warm to the touch and didn't even cold adv/high idle... Only need a few hours. A timer would be handy dandy.

With a cranked mechanical pump, single digit colds starts are a real smokey, rattling, clanky mess. BIG smoke rings :D

The 15 minute trick did not work so well this morning... Still coughed up some white smoke and clattered a little, around 27F last night.

This weekend I will buy a timer for the 2 hour window and see how that goes.

there is actually quite a few times during the winter that we are warmer than alot of places down south. Biggest diff is the overall length of winter. Try comparing temps in Jan/Feb that's usually our coldest months

The 'end of the world' is about -10F here.. to most..,

-10, winter is just spooling up, in the great white north..

Yep Feb is a cold one here too.... (relatively speaking)

I've seen temps go from -50 to +40 in about 12 hours. Pretty amazing it's actually noisy from all the expansion/contraction going on

Ok where do I set up my tent.......... Got a spot in the back yard?

:D

Yep I've noticed the differential in temps (again, relatively speaking) from -10's to single digits, to the teens...

-40F seems like a different world I bet...

We won't talk about the triple digit heat and the suffocating humidity in the summer.....

-40F seems like a different world I bet.

When you jump in the truck and your butt hits the seat, it might as well be a rock. It's that cold, and that hard. The good thing is it's usually calm out.

Like AK said, -10 seems quite nice after.

Back