• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Finally got the DEF warning light

BoostN

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I have the DEF Range at 300 miles message. I'm at 6300 miles... I never got the 1000 or 500 mile message. I was wondering when I would get one, I was hoping I was get a lucky one with no DEF required.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1301414420.771544.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1301414420.771544.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 7
I saw the other day that Farm & Fleet now carries DEF. It was $4.99 a gallon for price comparo.
300 mi isn't much warning if you were out in the middle of Nebraska.

I'm not sure what the usage rate is. The brochure does say fill it at 5000K if you haven't got a warning. I wanted to see how far it would go.

Does it use more if you do a lot of short trips- kind of like where the DPF needs to regen more if you are in a lot of stop-start traffic?

Does it use more if you do a lot of short trips- kind of like where the DPF needs to regen more if you are in a lot of stop-start traffic?

I would say so Grady. I'm not entirely sure about specifics, I just know what I got to do to delete it. :hihi:

Not tach redline? That's different.

They stopped the red tach on the NBS 07.5 trucks as when the engine braking kicks on, it would push forward and everyone thought their motor was going to blow. So GM thought they would save a few calls to corporate I'm sure.

Funny story, I went to the advance auto today for some "exhaust fluid", the counter guy looked at me and said. All of our fluids are right here, do you see what you need? :D

Finally, I cut the crap and the other guy said , "Oh, your talking about Diesel Exhaust Fluid", and he proceeded to show me. I didn't buy it as it look like some cheap chinese knock off stuff. I'm going to try Napa as most have had good luck with their fluid.

I love the looks of the new trucks, but sure could do without worrying about the DEF. I don't think GM has all the bugs worked out of that system yet.

It has a shelf life of one year though right? Between you to, can you use that much?

Finally got this message yesterday on the interstate..
204584_525621739727_206601276_31008526_1376709_o.jpg

Finally found some at Autozone. They only had 1 jug (2.5 gal). I put that in last night. I haven't drove it yet though, hopefully the light clears out ok.

I don't believe so......

It injects it as a steady stream, so it probably wouldn't really matter how you drive it.

DEF is not hard to find, even walmart stocks it. Also can be found at your local AGCO/ CNH dealers. I would have no problems owning a SCR truck, way better than cooled EGR.

Sent from my iPod Touch using Tapatalk, as if anybody actually gave a sh!t if it was a desktop, laptop, crackberry, I-phone or freakin' morse code or for that matter smoke signals... :)

I like the theory behind it, and they've been doing the Blue-Tec thing for years in Europe, so it will likely be fine in the next diesel I buy. I also like being reminded about it, although I am not fond of the progressive disabling of an engine if the owner neglects to fill up the little tank... too big-brother for me.

Anybody know why the Dodge (Cummins) engines don't have it?

I like the theory behind it, and they've been doing the Blue-Tec thing for years in Europe, so it will likely be fine in the next diesel I buy. I also like being reminded about it, although I am not fond of the progressive disabling of an engine if the owner neglects to fill up the little tank... too big-brother for me.

Anybody know why the Dodge (Cummins) engines don't have it?

The cab and chassis rams have it. Are the other rams cooled EGR?

Sent from my iPod Touch using Tapatalk, as if anybody actually gave a sh!t if it was a desktop, laptop, crackberry, I-phone or freakin' morse code or for that matter smoke signals... :)

Cummins swore they could meet the new standards with cooled EGR only. Of course they now have SCR equipped trucks in testing since they are not sure they can count on it working well enough for the long haul. I heard that from a friend whose brother is a Cummins test engineer.

Back