• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Fan clutch

btfarm

America First!
Staff member
Lead Moderator
Reaction score
Getting set to clean the stack next week install all new hoses and I suppose it's about time to put in a new fan clutch. Is the Hayden 2886 still the best choice?

Hayden a few years ago changed the 2886 and started building it based on a regular pickup type clutch. It's been hit or miss since they changed the design. If you don't mind spending the coin, the Kennedy fan clutch has good reviews(it's what I'm running).

Either that or do the electric fan clutch like AK Diesel Driver did.
Be able to set the temp it comes on, and have a manual engagement over ride if you want.
The fan and clutch he used is for the 21" fan like was used on 01-05 trucks and vans. 06-10 trucks used I believe a 23" fan. There is no evc and fan combo to work for a 06-10 truck that I've seen.

I made a tool using a 2' long hard brake line soldered to a air fitting at one end with the far end folded over and drilled one small hole for the air to escape I slide it down behind the radiator too blow out the debris then do the same with other coolers and condenser it works great.

I had wrote an article about sealing up the gaps between the radiator core and radiator which keeps the big debris at bay and increases the air flow through the radiator core too.

That's not good. I'm surprised you didn't have problems with the engine warming up with it that bad.
It was getting hotter than normal but besides the AC issue I was seeing trans temps tickling 190. With Transynd I wasn't real concerned about that but I knew it needs a clean out.

One noticable thing about the Kennedy fan clutch is it's version of cold running sound. The OEM units were notorious for the roaring sound they make for the first couple miles. Some used to refer to it as "morning sickness". This has quite the whine instead. No worries, just different. Couple hundred mile trip with my sweetie yesterday with full AC and at one point sat at idle in a construction zone for a good 5 minutes with nice even temps... A very good thing.

Back