• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Excessive Smoke after extended Idle???

Reaction score
If my truck is warm and I sit at idle for an extended time (5 min or more) when I take off there is a large cloud of blueish smoke. After driving for a short while (3 min or so) it clears right up and doesn't do it again until long idle. If I am driving and stop at a red light for a short period it doesn't do it, only at extended idle time. What is the cause of this?:mad2:

I'm thinking more twards peeing[worn/leaking] injectors. At higher rpm it will burn most of the excess fuel. Peeing injectors will eat a hole in a piston.
Another possibility is low compression in one or more cylinders causing incomplete burn or no burn at low rpm. A injection pump on it's way out will sometimes smoke blue. I have a 93 with a bad IP that smokes badly all the time.

What is the oil consumption rate of the engine?
How much blowby does the engine have?

Check the CDR system, and to check the turbo, remove the CDR tube, and upper intake manifold. The start the engine drop in in drive and hammer the throttle to spool up the turbo. Let it idle 5 min and the spool it again. Any oil the turbo is leaking in the intake side will be blown out for you to see as it paints everything. Exhaust side not so easy. Checking the turbo can be done by visual inspection and checking for shaft side to side play.

Could be fuel. Have you checked the timing and timing chain? White smoke is retarded timing.

Diesels cool off when at idle. This makes other problems worse.

The engine doesn't hardly use any oil, less than a quart between changes. The injectors were replaced last April, so I am ruling them out. The injection pump can be suspect, timing??? don't know how to check that outside tearing down the motor- if do that might as well rebuild it all and I am not ready for that now. There is oil that builds up in the inlet side of turbo which makes me wander if it is that? It doesn't smoke any other time except when it sits and idles after being ran. When I get on it it will blow nice size cloud then clear right up. It smells like burning oil. I am running 1.5 oz. - 2 oz. of Two Stroke per gallon of diesel. Went a little rich on this fill up on accident. Would that be a cause as well?

The CDR is, by default, routed to the compressor wheel of the turbo. A lot of oil there would indicate, to me, excessive blowby or a non-functioning CDR.

Do you see vapor from the oil fill neck or dipstick tube?

Yes, There is a smoke that comes up there if the cap is removed. I cleaned that CDR a couple of months ago, I am guessing better to just replace?

Could be. They're not that expensive.

Have you measured the blowby? There's a test you can perform. I can't remember the full thing off the top of my head, but if you search the forum you should be able to find them.

There is no effective test to say you have too much blowby other than just seeing it fly out of the dipstick and oil fill tube, and how much oil consumption you have. I would be concerned about the injectors as well, due to the potential for damage, especially dribling overnight, or heavy load. Try getting the drivers side injectors checked.

If you have used ether or any starting fluids it could hurt the tips. And if you got the low cost marine tips they may not have good longevity.

The engine runs awesome, no weird noises or feel of lost power. I think I will try to get the injectors checked, although near brand new. Does anyone know of any good and reputable diesel shops in the KC Missouri and surrounding areas????

my bet is oil is building up in the cdr tubing. at idle there's not much vacuum so the excess pressure pushes the oil out with the blowby. then when you accelerate you create vacuum and it sucks it thru

No, a new CDR wont help, thats how it works normally unfortunately. I was thinking possibly the same. You can try venting the CDR to atmosphere to test if the issue goes away. If not then check injectors ASAP.

(thinking out loud) I wonder if a smog check place could sample your exhaust and determine if its fuel or oil?

buddy when I lived in Ca they would randomly pull diesel trucks (commercial) and smog them. Have they started on regular p/u's yet?

They smog check 97+ diesels here in CA, but I am exempt anyway because currently registered in IL

If its oil and not coming from the CDR, then its possible the turbo seal is leaking into the intake side, some intake valve guide seals could be leaking, rings aren't scraping off enough oil.

Or it could be the injectors are dribbling, which is not uncommon.

If injectors are dribbling what damage would it cause on the motor? I am sorta cranked about the injectors since I just bought them a year ago.

The reason my signature reads "most blown up still running 6.5 award" and hits on 7 of 8 is 'poorly' described by pics here after the #8 injector failed.

http://www.thetruckstop.us/forum/showthread.php?25652

Oh yes: "And I'll take the turbo out too!"

You sure you don't have a head gasket leak and white smoke of coolant?

Back