• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Ever consider utilizing a 3pt hitch on your vehicle?

treegump

Romans 3:22-24
Reaction score
A dream/idea for a far away future:

I'm sure you guys have seen the old willy's jeeps with their accessories - have you ever considered building something to that nature?

I have been dreaming of the day that I can own a cj5 or cj7 again to go off-roading, but that's not very practical.

What would be practical is if I found an old willy's jeep, and built it to use around my parent's farm. And than unhook the accessories so that my wife and I can cruise around in.

Seems if I ever did do something like that, it'd be best to build it off an old cj-3a farm jeep. But would a cj or yj work, or would I have to change too much with it?

Reference:
, http://www.ewillys.com/ , http://www.cj3a.info/cj3a/farmjeep/fj.html

I always thought that the pto was off of the transmission, but if you watch the video there was the option of changing the rpm's of the engine to regulate any attachment you had attached - so I wonder if they had a split transfer case?

It's been done.
Can't remember what forum I saw it on though.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

It depends which jeep. Older ones like my 43 mb had a t90 trans -no pto location, so you used a combo unit behind the transfer case that interrupted the rear drive line. It had an overdrive for hiway travel and you would of corse be in 2wd for that. It also had the pto drive shaft. You can mount the hydraulic pump, belt drive, or extension drive shaft depending on what you want. A big advantage here was moving the transfer case to lo range meant twice the torque if you needed it on something like a digging tool or lifting device.

The demand was high enough that the newer (1951and up Iirc) had a tranny mount location that pulled right of the input shaft. You could run the pto with trans in neutral or driving the jeep. Engine speed meant drive faster and increase pto speed at same time.
I have heard of another transmission that pulled pto of output somewhere but never seen one.

If you are not in a go fast mode, there is nothing funner to drive than a old flat fender.

It's kinda fun owning a hummer and owning the jeep that my dad taught me to drive in. Big fat ballerina that can be finessed over things or plow over top of it. Then the lil jeep that if it gets stuck 2 guys just lift the back up and out of the hole and set it to the side to get out.

I've gotten them both stuck on purpose just to learn on. If you can manage sticking a flat fender, you learn why they came with a shovel. If you get a hummer stuck, you learn why Marines do so many push ups, and travel in squad of 10-11.

Thanks Will - another wealth of knowledge!

This is the reason I post my ideas and questions on this forum!

I've never been all that intrigued with the flat fender jeeps/willy's, but I don't seem to have the money or time or see a reason to buy something like a cj or yj with the plan to off-road it at a park. (never been one to trespass to satisfy my off-road wants).

If my wife and I wanted to drive to and from her folks (3 hr drive) it'd take quite a bit longer in the willy's, it wouldn't necessarily be a bad drive. I don't think my next full size truck is going to be all that fast either. Utility & repairability/dependability over quickness/comforts.

They make a few receiver hitch things like spreaders. And Bobcat has a tool cat utility vehicle that is neat. Would be nice to have one. Man all the tools and toys I would buy and make if I won the lottery it would be stupid.

But once you get a tractor you wouldn't look back I don't think. The suspension travel of a vehicle and frame mounted accessory might get funky vs a rigid axle tractor. But it depends on what you are use to and doing with it.

My dad grew up poor on a share cropping farm and had a home made tractorish buggy thingy they did stuff with (I think it was an old car or truck they hacked up). So I guess it all depends on what you want to do. There are certainly more ready made options to purchase these days. Like the pull behind independent mowers typically for an ATV. I like a riding mower but over rough bumpy terrain that might be more comfortable.

I understand the tractor argument. Dad has a 2wd tractor right now and it works just fine.

The side by side that bobcat makes is a terrific idea, except it's not street legal (I don't think) and it only costs $12000 with a front utility option. The side by side by itself could be found for $5000, but what kind of shape would it be in, and could it handle front or rear attachments.

I understand the argument for using the right tool for the right job. But...not trying to make something more difficult, my initial inquiry was to see if anyone had done it and what ideas I could get if I decided to build a jeep size unimog with front/rear attachments. Such as - what base vehicle would be best, what motor, does it matter, etc...

The old jeeps are cool, but really it was the Swiss Army knife. I carry a leatherman because it's better than the old Swiss Army knife. In other words it was great for its day. Not so much now as a work tool.

If you won't use it off-roading (WTF IS AN OFF-ROAD PARK?)
and are going to work it in a farm or ranch setting, there might be better choices. I would really think hitch mounted attatchements that are hydraulic powered. Then the hydraulic pump can be pto, or belt driven on an engine. Then little jeeps or full size trucks can all run it. I've had front mounted hitches on all of my work trucks.

Jeeps are becoming a commodity and fetching some $. If you aren't into "The Jeep Thing" it might be more cash drain than you like.

Google Badlands in Attica, Indiana for the off-road park.

And hydraulics are a good idea!

And it is true that jeeps are starting to become more valuable or retaining value. Kept stock or built up they are quite versatile and have a large following.

Back