• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

EPROM Questions

Chief915

915A Maint Tech
Reaction score
After doing a little more digging on my suburban, I have a couple questions. I got the numbers off the IP.... it's a DS4831-S5068 with a date of 7-10-1998 on it. I pulled the ECM and looked at the EPROM and it has the following numbers on it.

BMSD

There was also another EPROM laying in in the glove box with the following numbers on it.....

BMSD

A little more background info on the truck, in order to answer my questions.... 1994 K2500 Suburban, VIN F, 4L80E, 3.73 gears, 5068 IP with a green ID tag on the front.

Here are the questions

1) Which of these, if either one, is the "right" chip to use? The truck seems to run fine, but I am not sure what the story with the "extra" chip in the glove box is.... Is it the original, is it an extra, is the one in the ECM an update or upgraded chip, etc... I guess seeing the "extra" chip is what makes me wonder which one is the right one.

2) What is the difference between these two chips? I searched the forum and see that BMSD is one of a few different EPROMS that go with a 5068 pump, but what are the different numbers about between my two chips?

3) I have also read in various posts, through the search function, that the 5068 pump is a somewhat different DS4. I see that it takes a "special" eprom, but other than that.... is it any better or worse than the other model DS4's? Is this one more desirable than others, provided you have the correct EPROM for it?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Look in the computer for a sticker than may have fallen off the EPROM from a programmer. My tag did and had to be fished out.

Look in the computer for a sticker than may have fallen off the EPROM from a programmer. My tag did and had to be fished out.

I didn't notice one floating around the first time I looked at the EPROM..... but I will look again, hopefully I find one :D

I have aftermarket chips in both my OBD1 6.5's. The one in my truck has 3 different tunes with a selector switch, economy towing & performance. The one in my Tahoe is a remake of the original with a slight tweak for performance & it also was altered to allow me to remove all the EGR BS. If you are interested in additional details shoot me a PM.

Sorry I can not offer any help to yr questions but I HTH'd.

The spare chip could belong to a 95 model that used the 5288 IP.
Buddy will know which is the right Eprom for the 5068 IP,altough i think you got the right one in already.
With the wrong chip it wouldn't run right,no power.

The 5068 has a slightly higher cam lift and a bit bigger hole in the delivery/spil valve snubber washer,other than that they are identical to the later pumps.

So do the different numbers on the chips mean anything at all? They both say BMSD on them, but the two 4 digit numbers on each chip are different...see post #1.... just had me curious as to what those numbers mean. Do those numbers deal with the calibration of the chip? Do they deal with what trans / gear ratio the chip is programmed for? Is it some sort of date code? You guys have said BMSD is the right chip for the 5068 pump... I believe you lol...I am just trying to learn something here.

Just for S & G I swapped in the "spare" chip for a little while today. The truck started and ran just fine.... it seemed to have slighty more smoke under hard acceleration, but that may just be my eyes fooling me.

Absolutely 100% positively BMSD is for an auto tranny truck with 5068 IP.

The numbers should not make a difference, just the 4 letter code.

Edit, I see now that the numbers are sort of the part number of the EPROM
16210150 is an EPROM part number, but the other one seems to be a combo of the PROM ID and something else. It doesnt seem consistent, but I wouldn't worry about it, they are the same thing. There are only very minor differences between most of the ones that are even different for a given type of truck.

Last edited:
Back