• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

epa ratings?

Deere Freek

Recruit
Reaction score
Just out of curiosity, what were the epa fuel economy ratings on most 6.5 trucks that would have been posted on the window at the dealers lot?

IIRC, I read somewhere that for 3/4+ ton trucks or vehicle, it is not required to put the EPA mileage sticker. Check out some of the new vehicle on their respective website like gm.com. When it comes to Mileage, it always said "N/A" with superscript asterisk.

The reason I check was when I want to rent a big 12 passenger van and trying to determine the mileage. It has the "N/A" on the website both GM and Ford.

Last edited:
This is from USA Today...
"Fuel-economy numbers posted on new vehicles are generated by 30-year-old EPA tests in which vehicles are run without air conditioning, never exceed 60 mph, never accelerate hard enough to hit 60 mph from a standstill in less than 18 seconds and always go far enough to fully warm up the engine. EPA uses correction factors to try to get closer to actual mileage."
These tests are done on a dyno, btw, not a road.

These tests are being changed now, but reading the EPA's info on it lost me. The info is available on the web -- I did a Google search on "epa mileage tests".

So a vehicle that is rated 30mpg EPA would probably get significantly more doing 50....

I am determined I need to install a Cruise control Multifulction switch, as I try to keep my highway speeds at 50. My foot/mind keeps me creeping up to 60 which kills me on aerodynamics as my truck is about as aerodynamic as a loose tarp.

Aces, if you're reading this, do you remember if the ABS light on was the problem with you're cruise experiment? I do not wish to fix my abs situation as ABS caused me an accident last year when rear brake line blew. I am happier without it.

Aces, if you're reading this, do you remember if the ABS light on was the problem with you're cruise experiment? I do not wish to fix my abs situation as ABS caused me an accident last year when rear brake line blew. I am happier without it.

I'm not Aces, but your cruise will not function with an ABS fault code present.

I'm not Aces, but your cruise will not function with an ABS fault code present.
I disagree. Mine works fine. My problem was an intermitent failure with the brake switch. Sometimes it would code other times not but it was the problem. My ABS is disconnected and my cruise works fine. This is in OBDI . Cruise will not function with DTCs present but ABS should not affect it. I also agree with you MAtt about ABS. I own two of these and drive a third at work. All of them have randomly lost stopping power without giving codes. Since disconnecting ABS on the 95, no issues. The 2000 and the 96 K2500 I drive at work(gasser) randomly all of a sudden when you need the brakes the most fail. Full pedal but no stoppy...and no codes. Junk IMO. Much like I will do to my mother inlaw someday.....JUST PULL THE PLUG ....:)

Last edited:
Yep, try it out with a blown rear brake line.... you thought you had no stoppy? I rear-ended my buddies F-550 box truck full of tools doing about 25-30 mph in the rain because the ABS decided to play its games with the front brakes while I was limping it home with a blown rrear line. Talk about no stoppy, not even a thought of slowing down. It was like I drove straight into him. Thank god it was his truck and not the 4-5 cars in front of him, I would have pushed at least 3 of them together, maybe 4 :). At least I have a brand new nose/bumper/hood/grille etc out of it :) Hit so hard it bent the frames. Pushed his 20' 550 about 3-4 ft forward, luckily he didn't hit the cars in front of him either. Bent a solid 8 inch tube steel crashbar on the back of his truck. (no guts came out, Drove it home)

Then, I parked it at my house, and even doing a 3 point turn I almost smashed my wifes car because ABS decided to do its little game... My heart dropped into my stomach, i thought I was going to wreck her little hyandai. Then I would have been out both my vehicles.

I refuse to fix the ABS. I am safer without it.

Last edited:
Back