• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Engine Installation Bolt Kit

Potluckslammy

Reaction score
Anybody know of a bolt kit for an engine install? Specifically, I'd like to replace all the old, rusty bolts that came off my truck with new hardware. Stainless?! Or is there a hardware and fastener list out there somewhere that shows what's what?

There's got to be a blow-up diagram(s) somewhere that show bolt locations and sizes! Would a factory repair manual have this info? I've been told there is some ASE software of some sort that shows every bolt, location, and size...but it's spendy, and requires a subscription...for shops only.

I have seen different military manuals listing some, but have found errors.
Plus depending which exact engine you have some went metric vs sae

Best is measure and buy individually.

Hummers have a more extensive manual, but on it that forum just this last week guys were discussing buying complete bolt kits for frame and how they buy all those bolts, then during assembly still have to go get more because some is missing and some is wrong.

Dissimilar metals is something to think about also. Like you dont want zinc plated studs for the waterpump.

If I was replacing this engine in my own shop, I would probably just take each individual bolt over to the wire wheel to clean it up then paint. That, or dip in phospho-coat. But I have someone doing it for me, and I'm quite sure they are just going to slap the old rusty bolts back in the holes and call it good. It's going to look like s***. Guess I'll go after it and do clean up when I get it back.

Something else that just hit me-
Bolt coatings greatly affect torque spec. So depending what you go with, you would need to determine adjusted torque specs.
Like stainless steel bolts incounter far more rotational friction than most others. So tightening to “X” on a stainless might give you half the clamping load over a black oxide bolt.

This is true. But in this case I'm only concerned with appearance and cosmetics. The engine itself will have all new fasteners, will be clean, freshly painted, and shiny. But all the accessories mounted to it are going to look like HELL!
, I wonder, how much will oxidation affect torque spec? Severely, I would imagine. A rusty bolt head is one thing, but if they don't bother cleaning up the threads...that could be bad. I hate having other people do things, trusting them to do a job correctly!

Local diesel shop..."local" being a relative term, being as I live in rural Arkansas. I asked around, and was recommended to them. But they mostly deal with big, over-the-road trucks.
All I'm asking of them is to pull, and then reintall the engine. Still, I can't look over their shoulder while they work, and I don't trust anybody to do a job the way I would do it myself. And any mistakes will likely be painful. On the upside, IF everything goes smoothly, I won't have a need to pay for any other outside services for quite some time.

There we go- i just start typing “K.. and that is what pops up for me to click. Just like “T... and enter gets me here! Haha.

Too bad you can’t have Chris build it for you. He is probably more expensive than the local truck stop, but if I couldn’t spin the wrenches myself - he is probably the only person as insane picky as I am ...

Cost is a reflection of value more often than not inside the tin covers.

...Too bad you can’t have Chris build it for you. He is probably more expensive than the local truck stop, but if I couldn’t spin the wrenches myself - he is probably the only person as insane picky as I am ...

Cost is a reflection of value more often than not inside the tin covers.

In fact, I've talked with him about doing just that! After reading his posts on various subjects over the years, and picking his brain a little myself, I'm convinced he knows his stuff...and is meticulous, and passionate about getting it right.
Initially we discussed him going over, and working his magic on a newly remanufactured long block. That's still an option. But at the moment I've sent my pulled engine to have it cleaned and magnafluxed. The shipping back and forth on the whole assembly would chap my ass, but I want Chris to do my head's either way. And I'll be using his pistons, as well.

Just a caution about using stainless steel bolts. Never use them in an application where they will be subject to high stress or excessive vibration like motor mounts or steering components. Stainless will fatigue and fracture.

Back