• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

egr delete

tammlyn

Reaction score
just got back from holidays and had another flawless towing season,truck now has 259km,i always to try to keep up with maintenance,this might be a dumb question but you guys that do a egr delete is it leagal,i live in northern ontario canada we do not need e test but down south you do,now if i do the delete is this ok or you just hope no one opens your hood,can it pass an etest without the egr cooler thanks mike

Federal emissions laws say we can't modify it. But only people that have emissions testing in their area could have it looked at. Even those places, the people inspecting it don't know what they are looking at.

Here having it vs not having it will not make the difference of passing or failing based on the egr, but other places it might depending how their testing is.

As for vehicles from out of the immediate area, or out of the country driving through, unless you are leaving visible smoke, it won't matter what you do to your rig.
So if you are legal in Canada, you could drive it anywhere in the US with no worries.

Funny side note. All GEP engines are labeled as emmisions exempt because they are built for federal government, which is exempt from it's own laws. So technically, when I put my new optimizer in back in '04, my Hummer no longer passed federal emmisions laws even though it was exactly the same long block emmisions wise. And it is illegal to remove the label saying exempt from that component. To be legal I should have installed my GM valvecover, which is what is mandated in the dealership. There's good gubmint for ya- not ok for smog until you replace a brand new valve cover from a 2017 built engine with an old one from maybe 1992- haha

I know i'm talking 6.5 not duramax, but same principle.

Best advice I can give you, unless you plan on doing it right(meaning a custom welded intake bridge and a passenger side up pipe that's been modified or an lb7 one), don't delete it. That sinister kit on ebay is GARBAGE, and it's not if, but when will your passenger side up pipe crack or your intake y bridge blows out. Those that do this for a living DESPISE those cheap delete kits because they're nothing but problems, and the customer says I've already put a kit on, why does it need more now? If you want to block it, then by all means install a blocker plate. Most visual inspections will never see the plate, and it will all look intact. Then you can either tune the egr out, or install a finger stick to stop the check engine light.

Back