• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Ebay has a few nice trucks on tonight...

JiFaire

Lieutenant
Staff member
Lead Moderator
Reaction score
Luxury in a larger vehicle, with that distinctive clatter under the hood... just makes ya warm, doesn't it?

Spotted: One wide-bottom gal with matching topper
Now here's a nice truck!

Spotted: One All-Leather 'Burb
This baby looks like she belongs on this site!

Every so often, I get the urge to go browsing. I always find trucks that are SO far away they aren't even worth me thinking about them. These two are worth thinking about!

Nice finds. I'm curious about the Black Dually - I've never seen a 'storage pocket' in the place of the passenger side airbag on a '99.

-Rob :)

Nice finds. I'm curious about the Black Dually - I've never seen a 'storage pocket' in the place of the passenger side airbag on a '99.

I think they did that on the one tons with no air bags. My 97 is like that

1 tons were not required to have airbags. GM cheaped out. ford did not. I lik the Burb and it's 1 hr from me and I was drooling until I saw it was on a used car lot. Forget it. it might as well be in a junkyard. Used car dealers are the apitimy of scum. Unless it's a branded dealer(Like a used car division of your local chevy dealer) stay away. Branded dealers "generally" won't sell junk. They don't want the bad rep. The send it to the auction and it ends up on Joe slimeballs used car lot. Let my lesson of "The Lemon" benifit all. I'm no dupe and I had the truck looked at by a mechanic who works for Cummins and look what happended. I knew better. When I was 18ish I was turing wrenches in a lcal garage and they did work for a local used car lot and you would not believe the crap we did to make something sell. I remember carving out a rod bearing to put on top of another rod beainf on a GMV6 to quiet a rod knock. No matter how good you are things can be hidden. If someone put stop leak in you won't know. If someone drained the tranny of burnt fliud you won't know. Etc. These vehiches end up at the auctions for a very good reason. They are junk. What Lee' Auto Ranch in elllington Ct did to me is just another example and there stuff "looks"really clean. I broke my own rule to buy that truck and now I will probably lose atleast 5k if not more when I finally dump it on a trade in . And then it will end up back at an auction nd back on another used car lot waiting for the next Prize Sucker. Not trying to preach but don't want to see others get burned like I did. It's very tempting to buy from these used car lots but make no mistake they are the scum of the earth. Probaby the only vehichle I got from a used car lot that wasn't a total screwing was my 2000 and that guy lied his a$$ off too but the issues were not that bad. He knew it needed an IP so he blew it out cheap but didn't tell me. Fortunatley I found you guys on the old site and saved 2k for a new IP by getting a Heath Diesel PMD kit. The only way to buy a used vehichle is to pay a little more form a Branded dealer or buy it used from a personal sale this way you can meet the owner and get a feel for how the vehchile was treated. I mean if you pull up and the guys got 10 similar trucks apart on his front lawn(hey wait a minute...No, I'm not that bad yet) then you may want o pass but if you meet the people and can see they are nice people who just felt it was tme to move up like we did with my Wife's Pilot then you could grab a winner. "Most, not All" people do have some sort of conscience and can;t look you in the eye and sell you junk. Used car dealers do not have that characteristic.
My .02 . Hopefully it will save someone from what I have learned painfully.
I should have done my homework on the dealer. He has an F rating (as most do) from BBB and numerous complaints from DCP and DMV.

Last edited:
I mean if you pull up and the guys got 10 similar trucks apart on his front lawn(hey wait a minute...No, I'm not that bad yet) then you may want o pass ...

Great post, Aces - The sentence above made me laugh out loud, though!

See the black floor pan liners? Anyone else have those? they seem clean and useful.

That thing is beat........ At least over 2x what it is worth. That is being generous.

Acesneights1 said:
I was drooling until I saw it was on a used car lot. Forget it. it might as well be in a junkyard. Used car dealers are the apitimy of scum.

Hmmm... I understand how you feel, given your recent experience, but I gotta tell you, I've bought 4 vehicles from used-car-lots, and all 4 were wonderful... in every case, they were not mechanics and admitted that, and were happy to let me look the vehicles over from end-to-end, as long as I told them what i found so they could use it for the next guy, if I didn't buy.

In contrast, I bought 2 vehicles from dealers, and they lied like a cheap rug about all kinds of stuff. I bought my 6.5 from a local dealer, and he gave me the world's biggest song and dance about the truck and how good it was, and all that crap - I did a carfax, got the real info, found the original owner and talked with him. Found out all kinds of things, including what they had given him in trade (which they lied about). When I bought it, I had all of this stuff on paper in front of me - ended up calling in the manager and showing him my documentation, and asking if he wanted to make me a deal or wanted to be famous, 'cause I was willing to arrange either.

He opted to make me a deal. Saved $3800.

Not disagreeing with your stance, Kenny, but just expanding on it... there are lots of good branded dealers, lots of scum. There are lots of independents, lots of scum.

In the end, it's all buyer-beware. The only guys I trust are the ones willing to include a fairly hefty warranty - the others, I do my own checking.

Probably more honest up North by you. Here in the states..well...rent a classic movie with Kurt Russel called "Used Cars".
It says it all.
It wasn't just the dodge. I got burned with an 89 F350 I bought 10 yrs ago. That thing had so many issues...
My Buddy bought a Denali from a used car dealer. what a rag that was. He was crazy pizzon. It was a shame when the 980c "lost" the brakes .. Not pretty. Not pretty at all...:D

Still.....for what it's at now unless it had a rod knock I don;t think you could get hurt...
NO MUST RESIST !!!! Jim you posted this to torture me didn't you. Mapquested CT and said ahhhhh.....
:D

Still.....for what it's at now unless it had a rod knock I don;t think you could get hurt...
NO MUST RESIST !!!! Jim you posted this to torture me didn't you. Mapquested CT and said ahhhhh.....
:D

ROFL... I knew that would get ya...

I saw that movie... Kurt Russell dressed up like Herb Tarlek :wtf:

It's always buyer beware, Kenny - branded dealer or not. Some of the little guys (especially in smaller towns) know that if they screw a few people over, word-of-mouth will fix their red wagon. The bigger guys don't care, because they have the corporate thing to back them up.

tell us how you really feel ;-)
all is 100% correct though. never buy from a dealer unless you are ordering a brandnew car (and do not do that either).

3500.agal1.JPG

supposedly sold for $8300....

1 tons were not required to have airbags. GM cheaped out. ford did not. I lik the Burb and it's 1 hr from me and I was drooling until I saw it was on a used car lot. Forget it. it might as well be in a junkyard. Used car dealers are the apitimy of scum. Unless it's a branded dealer(Like a used car division of your local chevy dealer) stay away. Branded dealers "generally" won't sell junk. They don't want the bad rep. The send it to the auction and it ends up on Joe slimeballs used car lot. Let my lesson of "The Lemon" benifit all. I'm no dupe and I had the truck looked at by a mechanic who works for Cummins and look what happended. I knew better. When I was 18ish I was turing wrenches in a lcal garage and they did work for a local used car lot and you would not believe the crap we did to make something sell. I remember carving out a rod bearing to put on top of another rod beainf on a GMV6 to quiet a rod knock. No matter how good you are things can be hidden. If someone put stop leak in you won't know. If someone drained the tranny of burnt fliud you won't know. Etc. These vehiches end up at the auctions for a very good reason. They are junk. What Lee' Auto Ranch in elllington Ct did to me is just another example and there stuff "looks"really clean. I broke my own rule to buy that truck and now I will probably lose atleast 5k if not more when I finally dump it on a trade in . And then it will end up back at an auction nd back on another used car lot waiting for the next Prize Sucker. Not trying to preach but don't want to see others get burned like I did. It's very tempting to buy from these used car lots but make no mistake they are the scum of the earth. Probaby the only vehichle I got from a used car lot that wasn't a total screwing was my 2000 and that guy lied his a$$ off too but the issues were not that bad. He knew it needed an IP so he blew it out cheap but didn't tell me. Fortunatley I found you guys on the old site and saved 2k for a new IP by getting a Heath Diesel PMD kit. The only way to buy a used vehichle is to pay a little more form a Branded dealer or buy it used from a personal sale this way you can meet the owner and get a feel for how the vehchile was treated. I mean if you pull up and the guys got 10 similar trucks apart on his front lawn(hey wait a minute...No, I'm not that bad yet) then you may want o pass but if you meet the people and can see they are nice people who just felt it was tme to move up like we did with my Wife's Pilot then you could grab a winner. "Most, not All" people do have some sort of conscience and can;t look you in the eye and sell you junk. Used car dealers do not have that characteristic.
My .02 . Hopefully it will save someone from what I have learned painfully.
I should have done my homework on the dealer. He has an F rating (as most do) from BBB and numerous complaints from DCP and DMV.

In the end, it's all buyer-beware. The only guys I trust are the ones willing to include a fairly hefty warranty - the others, I do my own checking.

My general rule is to stick with dealers that you know, if it someone out of your area, and you know nothing about them, you don't the vehicle that bad.

Also, having worked at a dealership, I know how it really depends on the moral fiber of the dealer. Being a dealership that did hardly any advertising, and relied on "friends of the business" they seemed not to really take poor vehicles in on trade, and if they did, they were either donated to rawhide or left to rot on the back lot.
I have seen other more commercial dealers who will take damn near anything in on trade, then resell it just to get the business.

Back