• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Earls 82510aerl

THEFERMANATOR

FRANKENBURBAN
Staff member
Lead Moderator
Reaction score
I'm getting ready to buy an EARL's 82510AERL cooler for my BURB, and was wanting to know if any of our vendors can get me one before I order it from JEGS(they are about the only place I could find that had one in stock).

Burning oil

LeroyDiesel.com
Vendor
Reaction score
I spent about an hour looking for one. It won't be worth the time for me anyway at this point. I'd suggest Jegs unless another vendor here has them?
What I did find though was that if I bought 24 of them my cost would be alittle less than $200ea. You want to buy 24 of them?

THEFERMANATOR

FRANKENBURBAN
Staff member
Lead Moderator
Reaction score
Don't have a need for that many of them. If we could get some 01-05 DURAMAX guys together it would work out as this is the one that goes in fairly easily into them. I'll order one from JEGS, I figured I would try here first.

JiFaire

Lieutenant
Staff member
Lead Moderator
Reaction score
It's always worth asking, Ferm... Leroy finds deals on the darnedest things.

Pepperidge

Member Advocate
Staff member
Lead Moderator
Reaction score
I'm getting ready to buy an EARL's 82510AERL cooler for my BURB, and was wanting to know if any of our vendors can get me one before I order it from JEGS(they are about the only place I could find that had one in stock).

they work geat Ferman...a little too great during winter...

maybe that high idle will also warm up the tranny sooner...

I don't know how hard they are to hook up...but Ben didn't even send directions with it... :eek:

THEFERMANATOR

FRANKENBURBAN
Staff member
Lead Moderator
Reaction score

Pepperidge

Member Advocate
Staff member
Lead Moderator
Reaction score
I found those after I posted...

but what I didn't see before I bought it was that I needed the outside temperature sensor, and am supposed to have the manual PTO high idle already installed as well and turned on in the ECM(thats about the only part I feel I can do easily if EFI live does this) the rest I'm a little uncomfortable with...I thought this was gonna be plug and play...had I read the instructions beforehand I may not have purchased it...

THEFERMANATOR

FRANKENBURBAN
Staff member
Lead Moderator
Reaction score
I found those after I posted...

but what I didn't see before I bought it was that I needed the outside temperature sensor, and am supposed to have the manual PTO high idle already installed as well and turned on in the ECM(thats about the only part I feel I can do easily if EFI live does this) the rest I'm a little uncomfortable with...I thought this was gonna be plug and play...had I read the instructions beforehand I may not have purchased it...

You have the latest 2002 OS loaded in your ECM, so you should be good there. If it does need to be enabled, only a TECH 2 can do it(it should work as I use it on mine through the cruise switch with the same operating system). Unfortunately the early trucks(01-02) aren't integrated like the later trucks are, and do require some more wiring. Of course, you could always bring it with you in Febuary and swing by the house and I could pop it in there for you.

Pepperidge

Member Advocate
Staff member
Lead Moderator
Reaction score
If it were enabled, should I have manual high idle when cruise is depressed? How would I use it?

THEFERMANATOR

FRANKENBURBAN
Staff member
Lead Moderator
Reaction score
If it were enabled, should I have manual high idle when cruise is depressed? How would I use it?

You have to have the wire hooked up that allows the fast idle to work through the cruise switch. It is part of the install of the high idle box of Ben's I believe. It's the one that goes to the ECM and most hook it into pin 71(?) in the factory position under the dash.

Pepperidge

Member Advocate
Staff member
Lead Moderator
Reaction score
Well I found how to operate the high idle if it were hooked up manually...Which I know it's not...

HIGH IDLE OPERATION
1) Start the truck normally using the ignition key. If using a remote start, the high idle may not work unless a 12V unswitched source was used as the power lead to the high idle switch.
2) Set the parking brake. The parking brake MUST be set in manual transmission equipped trucks.
3) Transmission should be in PARK or NEUTRAL for Allison equipped trucks.
4) Transmission must be in NEUTRAL for the 6 speed manual equipped trucks.
5) Vehicle speed must be 0 MPH.
6) The brake pedal or clutch pedal is not depressed.
7) Turn on the high idle switch.
8) Turn on the cruise control switch.
9) The idle speed will increase to the STANDBY speed of ~850 RPM for 2001 Duramax diesel equipped trucks. If you have a 2002 or 2003, you MAY NOT see an increase in the idle speed to 850 RPM at this time.
10) Hit the cruise control SET button. The idle speed will increase to ~1250 RPM for 2001 - 2003 Duramax equipped trucks.
11) Engage the RESUME switch on the cruise control stalk. The idle speed will increase to ~1700 RPM for 2001 - 2003 trucks.
12) If the Duramax engine is cold, it may take a few seconds to a few minutes for the high idle to engage. This is normal operation. Some have reported that it may take a few minutes for the high idle to engage when used for the first time.
13) Stepping on the brake pedal, clutch pedal, or shifting into gear will turn off the high idle. If the brake pedal or clutch pedal is released, the high idle speed will resume.
14) Shifting the Allison back into PARK or NEUTRAL will resume the high idle speed.

THEFERMANATOR

FRANKENBURBAN
Staff member
Lead Moderator
Reaction score
Well I found how to operate the high idle if it were hooked up manually...Which I know it's not...

HIGH IDLE OPERATION
1) Start the truck normally using the ignition key. If using a remote start, the high idle may not work unless a 12V unswitched source was used as the power lead to the high idle switch.
2) Set the parking brake. The parking brake MUST be set in manual transmission equipped trucks.
3) Transmission should be in PARK or NEUTRAL for Allison equipped trucks.
4) Transmission must be in NEUTRAL for the 6 speed manual equipped trucks.
5) Vehicle speed must be 0 MPH.
6) The brake pedal or clutch pedal is not depressed.
7) Turn on the high idle switch.
8) Turn on the cruise control switch.
9) The idle speed will increase to the STANDBY speed of ~850 RPM for 2001 Duramax diesel equipped trucks. If you have a 2002 or 2003, you MAY NOT see an increase in the idle speed to 850 RPM at this time.
10) Hit the cruise control SET button. The idle speed will increase to ~1250 RPM for 2001 - 2003 Duramax equipped trucks.
11) Engage the RESUME switch on the cruise control stalk. The idle speed will increase to ~1700 RPM for 2001 - 2003 trucks.
12) If the Duramax engine is cold, it may take a few seconds to a few minutes for the high idle to engage. This is normal operation. Some have reported that it may take a few minutes for the high idle to engage when used for the first time.
13) Stepping on the brake pedal, clutch pedal, or shifting into gear will turn off the high idle. If the brake pedal or clutch pedal is released, the high idle speed will resume.
14) Shifting the Allison back into PARK or NEUTRAL will resume the high idle speed.

That's how the factory one works. And for all intentful purposes, yours is an 02(01 OS's just don't run as well, so I use an 02 in all 01-02 trucks).