• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Duramax LLY Hypertech Vs. Predator

RYDNHI4X4

Halt Halt Or I'll Release My Dog
Reaction score
Written By: Unit453

Just made the switch from Hypertech to Predator.

I've been running Hypertech on level 3 for the last 50,000 or so miles with ZERO problems...

I loaded the Predator 85 h.p. tune and spent a couple days behind the wheel. There are several differences to be noted. With each, there are likes and dislikes.

Initial experiences:

Predator seems a lot more jumpy. It made an already touchy throttle, touchier. This is not bad however. It takes less throttle now to get it moving, so, I kind of like it.

Shifting:

The shifts were a little bit quirky the first 10 or so miles of stop and go. It seemed as if the TCM wasnt sure when and how to shift. It didnt seem to take long at all though. I really only got in it once or twice so far. I didnt ever have to floor it to get max boost before so I guess I'll stick with the same driving style for a while. I dont understand why it would have to relearn the added power all over again. Hell, its been used to level 3 tuning for the last 2 years. Why should it have to relearn?

Speedo calibrations:

Speedometer calibrations were way off. I drove the truck stock for all of 2 days when I got my new steering shaft installed a couple weeks ago. The speedo was off by -5. Having it read slower than I'm actually going is not cool by me. It will get me in trouble and I rarely even speed. I loaded the Predator for 285's and it was off by +4. Hypertech was the same way. I dont get it. I liked how with Hypertech you can adjust the tire sizes in very small increments to get the speedo right on. I always used 31.75" and it was 100% accurate as per my GPS. I then loaded it for 265's to see if it would help any. Now its reading -2 slow. I guess I'm going to try 275's and see if that works. Otherwise I'm just going to leave it alone.

EGT:

Driving mostly highway, Hypertech's EGT's were running a steady 800 degrees with cruise set at 70. I never saw in excess of 1250 while running empty or loaded with around 8000 lbs in trail. Predator EGT's are steady at 700 degrees running at 70 with cruise control on. I expected the opposite from all I've read here.

Defueling:

Those running Hypertech know how it feels. It defuels at every shift and is very noticeable but not annoying. The only time it smoothed out is when you dropped a load on the hitch. Predator's defuel isnt nearly as pronounced. It feels like a smoother transition from gear to gear. Thumbs up goes to the Predator for smoother shifts.

Performance:

I have no desire to drag my truck on the street or on the track. I didnt buy it to race it. I had several other reasons at the time. Hypertech level 3 was not underpowered at all. Yes there are much hotter tunes out there. No, I do not have the funds to build my tranny anytime soon so it needs to last. Hypertech seemed safe and reliable and not once did I ever have a bad experience with the product or customer service. Sometimes it would break the tires loose in 2nd gear and sometimes it wouldnt. I really think that the quality of fuel makes all the difference. Sometimes it felt really strong and other times I was like "Thats it?"

The predator seemed just as strong down low end on the 85 tune, maybe a tad stronger than Hypertech on level 3. The Predator smokes ALOT more than Hypertech ever did. I dont care either way, so how much smoke that coats the 17 year old girl's Civic behind me, is not my top priority. Hypertech didnt exactly not smoke but Predator's is a lot more obvious.

The tuning seemed just as easy. Predator has a lot more options than Hypertech when getting ready to tune. It loads a program just as quick.

One thing that I noticed is the noise level of the motor. The engine seems a lot louder with Predator. Its got an annoying rattle when the motor is cold and it doesnt seem as bad when its warmed up. I dont really like it. Hypertech never did that. I know that it increased the timing but I didnt expect it to sound like an 85 Hummer with a crusty 6.2 in it starting is -20 degree weather....Ok, well not quite that bad but I'm not fond of it. Do all the tunes sound like that?

I hear about the downloads that its capable of. What does that consist of? USB port from their website to download what exactly?

I set the speed limiter to 120. I dont know why because it'll never see that. Hell, I rarely see 80. Hypertech didnt have that option and I cant say that it really bothered me at all.

Overall, I like the tune. It seems quite potent with good drive ability. Hypertech was an excellent tuner...Best bang for the buck in my opinion. I'm interested to see what my mileage will be now. I'm going to keep it on the 85 tune and go from there. Hypertech was giving me a solid 18 mpg with a best of 18.6. This is all highway while using cruise and never exceeding 72.

What are most of you guys seeing for mileage with the 85 h.p. tune?

Overall, Predator was definitely stronger low end, especially in 1st gear than Hypertech. Hypertech is a great safe and reliable towing tune.

Last edited by a moderator:
I started out with the Hypertech and later switched to the Predator, but when I went to the Predator I stacked it with the Edge at the same time. Both programmers have their place, I didn't have a problem with either, except they didnt make enough power!!

I am looking at the predator right now. I saw that diablo now has the power puck for the gm trucks. The hypertech has given me zero problems, I guess I'm just looking for something different. Good info. Thanks.

DiabloSport has a new tuner coming out called the Trinity, but no ones knows when DiabloSport is going to release it. It is supposed to be like the HyperPac, but with a little more bells and whistles.

My brother has run the Hypertech on his LLY for over 3 years, and likes it. He says that his truck is very fast, even with his 6" lift and 35" ATs. He also says that the Hypertech can blow a fair amount of smoke when he accelerates hard.

One other thing, he mentioned that he wants to race me when I see him in Texas next week. We'll see how that goes.

I might have forgotten to mention some of the work that I have done on my truck since he last saw it a few years ago. :devil:

I HAVE HAD THE the predator for 2 yrs now....i like it...be careful onthe 85 hp tune...on a stock tranny, you will limp it..

i have a neighbor who runs the hypertech, his on level 4...im on the 65 horse pred tune.....on a drag, i pulled away from him in the second gear shift, and even more pronounced in the 2-3 shift.

at speed on the highway....65mph......we stomped on the go pedal...there was no competition....my truck pulled away from his like he wasnt even accelerating

my speedo is off by about -5

I HAVE HAD THE the predator for 2 yrs now....i like it...be careful onthe 85 hp tune...on a stock tranny, you will limp it..

i have a neighbor who runs the hypertech, his on level 4...im on the 65 horse pred tune.....on a drag, i pulled away from him in the second gear shift, and even more pronounced in the 2-3 shift.

at speed on the highway....65mph......we stomped on the go pedal...there was no competition....my truck pulled away from his like he wasnt even accelerating

Hypertech on level 4 ?

No matter what tune you use it all matters how you drive your truck. I have ran my truck for about 2 months now on the 120 tune and haven't had any problems.

Good write up. Ive had the Hypertech, ZERO problems except for kinda wierd shifting sometimes, but good power and no worries towing. My 2 Friends with LLY's run hyptech for 3 years now No probs. And they beat most Powerstrokes who want to play. Its a great tuner for those wanting wextra power with out other supporting mods.

I have run my Hypertech on level 3 for about 60k miles now and have not had one problem. I have limped the tranny twice but I think that was bad fuel. I have no complaints about the tuner. I tow a 6' x 12' enclosed trailer full of material and tools everyday and I hardly even know it's there. Gotta love this truck!!

I really liked my hypertech on my '05. Strong smooth power that's safe. I could get a little smoke out of it and hang right there with guys with their edges turned up. Way less smoke than the edge too. I usually saw 700-800 EGT's while cruising and as high as 1300 loaded down.

I have had alot of dealings with both of these tuners.Right now I'm running the Predator on the 120 tune.I have had several customers that have gone from the Hypertech to Predator and some have just went the Predator.I have had more people as well as myself to get better fuel mileage on the higher tune.That's if you can keep your foot out of it.Now as far as the rattle,you can use some additives that will help it.I have been using some Flash Lube,and it has not rattled as bad.

Later

Craig

Back