• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Duramax going bye bye ?

robzombie4551

robzombie4551
Reaction score
I was just at the stealer and was talking to a guy who said, now that ISUZU and GM severed ties, [Isuzu makes the engine] that they are in talks with multiple mfgs. including cummins on who will be the next diesel engine supplier for GM.

They are also trying to get Isuzu to sell them the rights to the engine.

Anyone else hear anything on the grape vine about this?

I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

I don't know if there is any truth to it but I read somewhere that GM bought whatever share isuzu had in the duramax and took it over all to themselves. No mention of any other mfg in the picture. Given the history of GM producing light and medium duty diesels this could be a very bad thing[cracking blocks and heads].

I don't know if there is any truth to it but I read somewhere that GM bought whatever share isuzu had in the duramax and took it over all to themselves. No mention of any other mfg in the picture. Given the history of GM producing light and medium duty diesels this could be a very bad thing[cracking blocks and heads].

GM did buy the share. The Duramax won't be going anywhere for awhile..

Late 2002 - Isuzu begins the re-purchase of its stock from shareholders, primarily General Motors. Isuzu reduces GM's 49% share to 12% as part of this comprehensive recapitalization plan. As part of this reorganization, GM gains full control of DMAX and Isuzu Motors Polska, as well as ownership of all diesel engine designs from Isuzu. Isuzu drops the venerable Trooper from the North American lineup.

Absolutely correct, GM owns the Duramax.
And has owned the DURAMAX since 2006 when they started building the LBZ here in the USA. They do outsource some of the internal parts to JAPAN for ISUZU to cast, but it is still a GM built engine owned entirely by them. I guess this is sort of like FORD owning CUMMINgS, and DODGE is gonna put a CAT in there trucks.

Well I'm glad I found someone sleeping at the wheel and didn't know what he was talking about.

After all the refinement that went into to the DMAX it would suck to start all over again.

And end up with who know's what. atleast we already know the strengths and weaknesses of the DMAX.

LONG LIVE THE DMAX:bow:

Yeah GM is gonna terminatate a motor that has billions invested in R&D and has upgraded 5 times and has plans to up the displacement still. Kick the dealer in the balls

once the new regs hit for 2012...cat will no longer offer a on road engine...off road only

once the new regs hit for 2012...cat will no longer offer a on road engine...off road only

Oh REALLY? Guess I'd better do some reading... Been outta touch with big truck stuff for a few years. Wonder how the other big truck engines will adapt? (another thread maybe)

Just saw the other day that Cat is introducing a new vocational truck at ConExpo coming up next week. I'd guess it's Cat powered? They had a teaser vid that I saw of a tandem dump rig.

On edit here's some info...

Unveiling of First Cat® Vocational Truck at CONEXPO in March 2011
PEORIA, Ill. – Caterpillar Inc. (NYSE: CAT) will unveil the first model in its
full line of Cat® Vocational Trucks, the Cat CT660, at CONEXPO on March 22, 2011.
The Class 8 trucks will be sold and serviced exclusively through the Cat North American
Dealer network, with production beginning after CONEXPO for customer delivery later
in the year.
To develop its first line of trucks, Caterpillar leveraged its industry-leading
technologies, extensive knowledge of worksite and operator environments gained from
meeting the heavy equipment needs of a wide range of industries, and an unparalleled
dedication to customer support. The trucks will offer custom solutions for a large variety
of job applications—from moving rock and hauling trash to logging and pouring
concrete.
Before Caterpillar engineers started designing, the company asked vocational
truck owners and drivers what they wanted and needed from their trucks. “Our design
and manufacturing has been focused squarely on making the customer input we gathered
a reality,” said George Taylor, Director and General Manager of the Cat Global On-
Highway Department.
Taylor added, “We coupled customer input with our knowledge learned from
years of experience working closely with different industries to meet their heavy
equipment needs to identify the ideal standard options for various industry applications.
As a result, we’re proud we will deliver a line of vocational trucks that our customers
want, knowing they are built for a wide variety of jobs.”
Caterpillar will offer the heavy-duty Cat Vocational Day Cab Trucks with a full
range of popular engine ratings and torque capability options. The specs are designed
explicitly for customers' demanding applications and include a Cat CT11 engine with
ratings from 330bhp to 390 bhp, a Cat CT13 with ratings from 410 bhp to 475 bhp and,
coming in 2012, a Cat CT15 with ratings from 435 bhp to 550 bhp.
Because of its proven record for quality and reliability that maximizes uptime, the
Cat CX31 torque converter style automatic transmission, with three standard locations for
Rear Power Take Off drive positions, will be a noteworthy option for Cat Vocational
Trucks. Caterpillar also offers a complete line of other OEM vocational transmission
options, including Eaton manual and automated manual transmissions.
“These trucks are everything the Cat brand represents in terms of quality,
durability, reliability, and driver ergonomics, so we’re looking forward to seeing the
reaction to the CT660 at CONEXPO,” said Cat Vocational Truck Product Manager Gary
Blood, who is responsible for product strategy, design and introduction of the new trucks.

that truck would be interesting to look at.....

as for what the other large engine manufactures have been doing for the 2012 regs; they are already using the SCR, DPF and EGR in conjunction as a unit. what really sucks is that cummings and international have already met the regs that Comifornia has set down for 2014 and they have the funky holographic sticker on the doors, so they can "legally" run in that state and as a benefit they dont need to carry APU's, just let the truck engine start and stop as needed to maintain heat/cooling in the cab over night. well guess what...almost ALL of the truck stops in Comifornia require that ALL trucks shut down the truck engine and run APU's even if they have the "clean air certified" stickers, they cant run the truck engine as a APU to maintain heating/cooling

one of the reasons CAT initially decide to stop on road production back in 2008 was that they knew they could not meet the upcoming regs without DPF and SCR. The engineers felt that those two items were just band aids and not a appropriate solution to the emissions "problem"......

as to the new truck coming out in a few days it will be interesting to se what they have done to met the new regs

Back