• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Driver’s Side Window Binding

Big T

Reaction score
The window in the driver’s side window gets stuck a few inches above the fully down position and then won’t go back up. I have grab and pull the window up for it to go back up and it typically sticks 2 or more times on the way up. Any ideas?

Pull the panel and look if there is something binding besides the cables of the regulator. Most of the the time it is the regulator and replacement is the only option."
I tried the cheapiest ones from rock auto (can’t remember brand right now) and they sucked. One failed within warranty time and the other about 2 months out of warranty.
I ended up buying delco and they lasted till i sold the rig.

Pull the panel and look if there is something binding besides the cables of the regulator. Most of the the time it is the regulator and replacement is the only option."
I tried the cheapiest ones from rock auto (can’t remember brand right now) and they sucked. One failed within warranty time and the other about 2 months out of warranty.
I ended up buying delco and they lasted till i sold the rig.

Thanks

Are the windows all on the same fuse? Because now the window actuator will not operate. Window is stuck in the full up position. All other windows operate.

Need to know answer so I can order a new actuator motor.

Yes, 1 fuse all windows. You could try swapping the non working door switch with a good one from another door to make sure not switch- I REALLY doubt it but possible.

It is almost always the motor/regulator. As bad as the AC Delco ones are, they live much longer than the cheaper ones in my experience.

OK tore into the door panel. Getting pretty good at this as it took me just 12 minutes. Anyway, wire on the window regulator motor is not broken. The motor itself appears to be riveted onto the regulator (see pic). Do I drill those out? I will need to order a new motor. Do they come with bolts to attach or new rivets?

Attachments

• Burb Window Regulator.jpg
    Burb Window Regulator.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 4
I think I answered my own question. Hooked the electrical back up to the window regulator motor and it works, but it gets jammed in a specific spots. I think that the teeth on a gear inside the motor (not the teeth that engage the regulator) are stripped. Looks like I need a whole new regulator and motor. I assume the recommendation is AC Delco?

Yup. Change the entire assembly with AC Delco.
Ive done just motors, and done regulator without the motor. PITA and the other half fails soon after anyways.

I tried a few different brands. The Delco is worth the extra nickles.

Yup. Change the entire assembly with AC Delco.
Ive done just motors, and done regulator without the motor. PITA and the other half fails soon after anyways.

I tried a few different brands. The Delco is worth the extra nickles.

Ordered AC Delco. Do I just drill out the rivets from the head side?

So the window regulator with motor arrived. It came with rivets to install. I was sorta hoping that it would come with bolts to install. What's the best for installation: rivets or bolts?

I checked my rivet tool and it has 4 heads, the largest is still too small for the rivets that came with the regulator.

Last edited:
I believe those are huck rivets. I have a friend with a big rig repair shop, Whenever I have to contend with the hucksters, I borrow his huck rivet tool.
Grade eight bolts with grade eight nylock nuts will holdum.

Back