• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

DIY: LML Auto-fog/All-on Mod write-up w/pics....

ryanryan

Reaction score
Thought I'd share what I did today since I'm sure other LML owners are after the same result. It's VERY easy, BTW.

First of all, the purpose of this "mod" is to have your fog lights turn on automatically with your low beams, and to be able to have your high beams on at the same time as your fog lights. The way I did this works perfectly because of a couple of reasons.......#1 The fog lights will not come on with the DRLs when you put it in gear(which is good to save bulb life if you have HIDs, and there is no reason to have FL on in the middle of the day), and #2 They will come one when you turn the switch on or the truck automatically turns the LB on. Initially I was going to wire the the FL into the park lamp relay, but then I realized they would come on every time you start the truck, which I didn't want.

Anyways, there are 2 ways to do this. #1 Install the jumper wire by itself...or...#2 Install the wire with a switch hidden under the dash so you can have it 100% stock if need be and retain the use of the FL button with the flick of a switch. I know a lot of people that do this don't like loosing the function of the FL button, so this method works great. If the switch is off...it works exactly like stock, and if it is on...it will work to turn them on, but not off if the auto-lights are on. Anyways, I chose #2.
smile.gif

I'll show this as install #2. First thing is run the wire and install the switch. No secrets here, very simple.

Step 1: Run the wire. I couldn't really find any grommets on the firewall that were in a good spot to run the wire, so I ran it along the fender....

d9474694.jpg

....and down into the rubber tube that encloses the wires that go into the door. I just poked a little hole in the tube so it remains water-proof.

e6bd6bea.jpg

d3880488.jpg

Then I ran the wire under the dash....

4c760d7d.jpg

Step 2: Install switch. I drilled a hole in the plastic for the switch....

3796e693.jpg

Then I connected the wires to the switch, and installed it....

ddc66506.jpg

The switch is in a perfect spot. I can't be seen when you're sitting in the seat, and is very easy to access when you want to turn it on/off. If you bend down, you can barely see it....

3cf494b9.jpg

And when you're sitting normally, you can't see it at all....

38092aba.jpg

Step 3: Connect the wires. When I say top left/bottom left, I'm referring to looking over the fender. One side of the wire goes to the top left of the FL relay, and the other end goes to the bottom left of the LB relay....

c14faa62.jpg

Another view....

b0aa6195.jpg

Step 4: Enjoy! That's all....the best part is it's easy and free! Here's the final result....

94647407.jpg

And here is a video to show how it works. I just threw a glove over the optical sensor to get them to turn on. If you're wondering, the LB stay on ~1 second longer than the FL because I have a capacitor installed with the relay.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XA5O5Vf66Lg

Thanks Ryan! Going to be doing this to mine very soon..

Did this last night Ryan.. worked great!

Thanks again.

So if you didn't care about the fogs shutting off you'd just jump those two pins with a wire? I might do this on the Suburban, if it will work...

Back